WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

13 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Motor is sitting on the ground again. 
I seem to have lost a good bit of motivation on this thing. Hopefully once I get it running again the motivation shall return. 

Anyone have good ideas on how to drive a tach? I really want to use the stock tach yet.

Shouldn't be too hard. I can rig something up for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Took fuel pump out to diagnose clicking, opened fuel pump, found nothing weird. 

IMG_20180824_141016

IMG_20180824_141017

Put pump back together and figured I'd fill it with fuel and see if the clicking stopped. 
Put it back in the car, hooked up the fuel line, got air out, and rotated it. It stopped clicking after a few turns. Cool.

Then it started pouring fuel everywhere again. The nose seal was dumping fuel out of it. 
Disconnected the fuel line, pulled the nose seal, found that the rebuild kit I bought has the wrong sized seal, then lit the rags on fire that were soaking up the diesel.

Until next time. 

IMG_20180824_161546

I totally took out the other pump too, need to bring that to the shop in GB to have them check it again after having paid them $650 and giving me a pump that still didn't work after they had said it was fine while on their test bench. 

Alright, it seems like there is slight confusion on what pumps are having problems, which is understandable lol.

The leaking pump is the pump that came from the e28 I recently bought, I knew it was leaking fuel, but thought that seal was fine. It wasn't. 
I ordered some standard rotary seals instead of the fancy $20+ bmw part number, because they're the same thing. I likely will have one tonight to the tune of $3. 

I dropped off the pump that I had bought on ebay "rebuilt" (20 years ago) at the shop yesterday, the ones that bench tested it and said it was fine, but didn't work when I tried it. He is going to open it up and see if anything is sticking and test it again. I made it clear that I've already given them $600 to make sure it worked and it doesn't, so I'm not interested in paying to have this one corrected. 

thanks for the badger diesel suggestion!

I grabbed one of the seals yesterday from a local supplier, but when I got to the shop I found that the old seal was a double lip, and I had gotten a single lip.
The one I ordered online was a two lip seal, and that shows up tonight. Shall press that in and see if it is leaking from anywhere else, if not I shall proceed forward!

23 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I grabbed one of the seals yesterday from a local supplier, but when I got to the shop I found that the old seal was a double lip, and I had gotten a single lip.
The one I ordered online was a two lip seal, and that shows up tonight. Shall press that in and see if it is leaking from anywhere else, if not I shall proceed forward!

Ohhh yes! Closer and closer!

Image result for diesel smoke animated gif

New seal in, no fuel pouring out. 

I am looking forward to going to the shop tonight. 
Need to hook up the oil cooler lines, add the few wires that it needs, time the motor, and then attempt the bleeding process.

Interesting note, the E28 downpipe fits the e30 chassis quite well, so I've got the start of the new exhaust as well!

On 8/31/2018 at 3:35 PM, straight6pwr said:

Stacks, please.

Ain't gonna happen.

After much delay, it has finally become useful.

It bled air pretty damn quick this time!

This motor is clearly in much better shape, it turns over by hand smoother and doesn't run on 5 cyl until it warms up like the other motor. I think long term I will put the new pump and injectors on this motor, but I will wait till I get the other motor running with those parts.

I forgot that I need to fix the heater core valve so I wasn't going to fill it with coolant knowing that it was going to leak into the cabin. 

Hooked up some of the other stuff, alternator, power steering, those kinds of things. I need to get under the car and connect the driveshaft and such, but that always takes motivation because who likes crawling under cars anymore. 

I'm stoked to have this running and I can't wait to go roll some coal! 

Pulled this little guy out last night, hoping to fix my coolant leak in the cabin.

IMG_20180904_174209

Drilled the heads of the rivets off an opened it up, weird little thing.

IMG_20180904_174903

This part is what normally cracks and leaks, but there were no cracks to be found.

IMG_20180904_174926

It's out of focus which is annoying

I put the two halves back together with some machine screws, after cleaning up any sealing areas.

IMG_20180904_190649

I put it back in the car, and am crossing my fingers that it doesn't leak. I need to remember to plug it back in as well. 

Motor looking like a hot mess as always!

IMG_20180904_181524

I'm looking into running a water/air intercooler due to space and piping constraints, but the only downside is that they aren't cheap! I wish there was more room to pipe an intercooler inlet and outlet to the same side on these chassis!

Until next time!