WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

On 8/23/2019 at 2:14 PM, Jdesign said:

I haven't updated this in awhile, but I figured I could do a check in. 

I have a mound of parts to install in this car and haven't had time to touch it. BUT since Halloween is right around the corner, I might need to get this thing on the road again, as it's perfect for the holiday. 

I did manage to finally find a cam that I will use with the gear drive. It's a Comp cams camshaft spec'd at 236/242, .363"/.361" lobe lift and cut on a 111+4 lsa. I am not 100% if it will work, but I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen?

smoke machine?

• 4 weeks later...

Did a thing last night and its closely relates to this car. Some of you may have already saw this posted on my snapchat (jhenrysnapp if you're a snapchatter) yesterday, but I have been cleaning and moving things in my shop and decided to get the old tires off of the spare style 5's and mount the new tires on. There is still a large amount of work to be done before I can actually mount the wheels on the car, but I was able to remove the tires, and install the new ones and flip the faces and the outcome was quite satisfying.

OEM back pad and barrel                                                  Flipped face and semi cleaned barrel                          New tire installed on flipped face wheel

IMG_1948.JPGIMG_1949.JPGIMG_1950.JPG

A video of the wheel next to the car:

10 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i've had a set of these in hand and thought it might be iffy, since the centering lip is on the face side, and the splined bolts are a loose fit into the holes on the face. did you mount the wheels on the car and give em a spin to check for run out? 

I know what you mean about the lip on the front of the face, BUT the overall diameter of the face also fits tightly inside of the barrel. So tight, I had to pound it back together with a 6x6 and all my might to get it tight. If you look, you can see I left the bolts in their place so that the nuts are on the "new face side." I did this because the bolts are splined, tapered, shouldered, and press tightly into the barrel before passing through the face. Leaving them in this orientation was the best (technically only) option for a secure hold, and the shouldered portion of the bolts also aided in alignment of the face. I did not mount them on the car, BUT I did mount them on my tire balancer to testy runout and they spin true for the most part, but the tire is a hell of a lot of meat, and I might run balancing beads instead of wasting a ton of sticky weights.

(Sorry for portrait mode, this is from snapchat)

• 2 months later...

SO.... Did a lil test fitting this weekend...

IMG_2767.JPGIMG_2768.JPGIMG_2771.JPGIMG_2775.JPGIMG_2774.JPG

NOW.... mind you this is at lowered height, no lift, no cutting. With the jack under it I get about 3" of droop and the wheel spins freely. I think with the lift I should be able to clear everything up front. I will just need to trim the bumper and I should be okay.

I have yet to test the rear, and I will be a little concerned with running into the subframe mount. 

• 1 month later...

Not much to look at but I made a little progress on this. Cleaned up the new subframe, painted it and installed new bushings. I also removed the trailing arm bushings and ordered new Ball joints for the trailing arms. I will be painting the swing arms next before installing all the new stuff.

IMG_E0503.JPG

I still need to order new brakes for the rear, but then should have everything to complete the rear end swap/upgrade.