WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

• 3 weeks later...

@GunMetalGrey , @HipMF, and I got together this weekend and I had a friend of mine at Noggle Photography shoot some pictures of our cars. Need less to say it was a blast and we hit a couple local spots in Madison. I have just a taste of images to share, but we visited an airport, cement factory, abandon house, and some unpaved roads. @GunMetalGrey Was able to concur a massive water feature , and I found a complete E36 M3 bumper in the middle of the woods.

http://noggsphotography.com/ did exceptional work, I cant wait to see the rest of the images.

2018_10_21_BMW_Shoot_002.jpg2018_10_21_BMW_Shoot_003.jpg2018_10_21_BMW_Shoot_005.jpg2018_10_21_BMW_Shoot_006.jpg44475398_308872649706601_1493153059855925248_n.jpg

Great find!

Strange things can happen in parts finds. The hard top in my old 93 Miata was being used as a sled by some kids when the PO found it. He was driving by, did a double take, stopped and picked it up.  A bit of fiberglass to repair some small cracks on the edges, new paint to match his Miata and good to go. I bought it from him and a few years ago sold it with the car.

3 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

You found a bumper in the woods? lol

The fact that it was an E36 M3 bumper too...

Field*

3 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

No way..... Are you fucking with us or did you actually find that?

OEM?

I have a plate holder trim if you feel the need of buying one.

I will gladly take you up on that. 

3 hours ago, Rekpoint said:

Here I was.... 6 months ago. "I want an M3 Bumper I wish I could find one for free. "

Damn you 🤣🤣 Lucky Find..

Funny thing is its in better shape than the bumper on my car.

Yeah it was the most super completely random thing. Andy jokingly was like, hey there's an extra bumper for your car (as he points to a white object in the middle of some tall grass and mud. I look over and see a bumper face down in the dirt. I could see the black molding on the side and replied with "Actually, that is a BMW bumper of some sort, I can tell by the trim." So I walked over and picked it up.  Well no shit, its actually a perfect fit for my car. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Field*

I will gladly take you up on that. 

Funny thing is its in better shape than the bumper on my car.

Yeah it was the most super completely random thing. Andy jokingly was like, hey there's an extra bumper for your car (as he points to a white object in the middle of some tall grass and mud. I look over and see a bumper face down in the dirt. I could see the black molding on the side and replied with "Actually, that is a BMW bumper of some sort, I can tell by the trim." So I walked over and picked it up.  Well no shit, its actually a perfect fit for my car. :lol: 

This blows my mind, of all things to find in a field haha

• 2 weeks later...

Rear end on this thing is super loose.

Ordering the following:

• Sub frame bushings
  • swing arm bushings (#4/#12)
  • Axles
  • Wheel bearings (#1)
  • Upper control arm bushings? (#2/#6) 

Does anyone make, sell, or use aftermarket upper control arm bushings?   Thoughts on this? 

#2 and #6 on this diagram:

Image result for E36 rear subframe diagram

2 and 3 can both be replaced by using part 3 in both places.  It is a spherical ball joint.  I just did that recently, M cars came like that.

6 and 8 have so little rubber that they are likely just fine, no need to replace.

Also there are some places that make a RTAB replacement that appears to use #3 or a similar ball joint as an insert.  That seems like an excellent option because the RTAB has multiple axis of deflection, although I have used UUC poly RTAB bushings for a long time and they are great as long as you grease them when installing to prevent squeaking.

3 hours ago, jc43089 said:

2 and 3 can both be replaced by using part 3 in both places.  It is a spherical ball joint.  I just did that recently, M cars came like that.

6 and 8 have so little rubber that they are likely just fine, no need to replace.

Also there are some places that make a RTAB replacement that appears to use #3 or a similar ball joint as an insert.  That seems like an excellent option because the RTAB has multiple axis of deflection, although I have used UUC poly RTAB bushings for a long time and they are great as long as you grease them when installing to prevent squeaking.

Awesome. Thats helpful.

Luckily I have aftermarket lowers so 3,7, and 8 are new.

The RTAB is my main concern as I can feel and see it flex in multiple directions under minimal load. I will likely just use a Poly bushing here. I want the rear of the car as solid as possible, yet its not worth buying a nice spherical joint for this contraption.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jdesign said:

Awesome. Thats helpful.

Luckily I have aftermarket lowers so 3,7, and 8 are new.

The RTAB is my main concern as I can feel and see it flex in multiple directions under minimal load. I will likely just use a Poly bushing here. I want the rear of the car as solid as possible, yet its not worth buying a nice spherical joint for this contraption.

Did you replace 3 when you did the lowers?  It is not part of the control arm, it's pressed into the trailing arm.  If you did then replacing the upper is exactly the same, I turned some cups to press them out/in with a bolt and impact wrench.  Pretty easy with the right tools, probably a nightmare without.

3 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Did you replace 3 when you did the lowers?  It is not part of the control arm, it's pressed into the trailing arm.  If you did then replacing the upper is exactly the same, I turned some cups to press them out/in with a bolt and impact wrench.  Pretty easy with the right tools, probably a nightmare without.

Yes I did. I cut my own bushings out of Delrin and pressed them into the trailing arm. I assume using the ball joint design on the upper it the best option though. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, can anyone provide me feedback on the following besides price?

image.png

image.png

image.png

I know everyone says that Garagistic sucks on quality control, but could they really manage to fail at making some bushings? I am looking to probably order them because I dont really give a shit about this car, and I dont care to machine my own bushings from delrin again.