WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

20 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I need to figure out what brakes I have, as the front calipers are rotors are huge for an E36. 17's seem to be the smallest wheels I can fit. I will need pads an rotors soon.

I'd guess that they're most likely E46 330ci brakes in the front as they are a direct bolt-on to the stock non-m e36 knuckles and require 17" wheels. 

5 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I'd guess that they're most likely E46 330ci brakes in the front as they are a direct bolt-on to the stock non-m e36 knuckles and require 17" wheels. 

Should I just order pads and rotors and see if they fit? 

Pic of my brakes and 17” wheel for reference;

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had a set of FK's and they were decent for the price.  Megan racing makes a coilover and i've always heard good things about them from my 240sx days.  They're slightly more expensive than the other options but only by a couple $100.  Let me know if you go with Solowerks, FK or Megan and I can get you a good price.

"Maxpeeding" rods it is.

Honestly, the spring rates (8K), 32 levels of adjustability, and the overall quality for $300 is unbelievable. To top that off, they have a two year warranty. I figured that the worst thing that could happen, would be that I considered these a mistake if they are not what I need or im not happy with them, and I will sell them for slightly less and buy something a lot nicer.

Image result for E36 coilovers 

Ordered some thangs

Some thangs showed up

Painted some of the thangs

Installed some of the thangs

Ive really suckethed at taking pictures of what I have been doing lately. But I did get a harness bar, Painted it black and installed it, Also installed the seat belt harness for the driver. I have been on the look out for a cheap bucket seat for the passenger. I have no pictures of any of this :(

I did get some pictures of these as I unwrapped them last night. I need to determine mounting locations for the 20" bar and the light pods. I think the 52" looks perfect on the end of the rack. Ive been really impressed with some of these eBay deals I have been getting lately.

All of these lights were $99 shipped and the light output is as follows

52" -300W lumen is 22000
22" -120w lumen is 8800
4" Pods- 18w lumen is 1500

IMG_6945.JPGIMG_6946.JPGIMG_6947.JPG

I need to build some brackets and a harness for the lights now

The Coilovers also arrived and Im really impressed with the quality. The entire box sticks of WD40, but thats a small concern compared to the $285 shipped for complete dampening adjustable suspension. LOLLOLOL These will be installed or "Leaped into your vehicle" by the end of the week, and I can share how they feel compared to how they look.

IMG_6935.JPGIMG_6934.JPGIMG_6938.JPGIMG_6942.JPGIMG_6943.JPGIMG_6936.JPGIMG_6937.JPGIMG_6941.JPG

A quick test fit of the lighting...

IMG_6949.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a thing last night. Super impressed with the light output. I currently hooked up both front and rear light bars to the high beam switch, so I wouldn’t need to run a separate relay, but I plan on changing that once I get a large switch panel for the inside of the car. I am making brackets today so that I can have both the front and rear bars mounted to the roof rack.

Kind of hard to capture a picture and show the intensity..

IMG_7010.JPGIMG_7009.JPG

Made some progress this weekend in anticipation for the upcoming weekend.

Installed;

• Coilovers
  • Angle kit
  • New cut inner tie rods
  • New Cut outer tie rods
  • Centerlines
  • Light bars (hooked up to high beams)
  • Seat belt harness for driver

Still needed before Sunday;

• Alignment
  • 1 Eyebolt for the Drivers harness
  • Windows that work with a switch 
  • Seat time

I plan on driving this to Milwaukee sometime this week if I can, otherwise I will be daily driving it to work as well.

IMG_7035.JPGIMG_7040.JPGIMG_7041.JPGIMG_7042.JPGIMG_7043.JPGIMG_7044.JPGIMG_7045.JPGIMG_7057.JPG

IMG_7018.JPGIMG_7020.JPGIMG_7021.JPGIMG_7033.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

I want to add that the angle kit did help improve the steering angle quite a bit, but what was more noticeable to me was that it added a shit ton of steering response. I would suggest that anyone considering swapping for a Z3 or M3 rack to think about getting a bolt on angle kit first. Its a much better improvement for a lot less cost and work.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jdesign said:

I want to add that the angle kit did help improve the steering angle quite a bit, but what was more noticeable to me was that it added a shit ton of steering response. I would suggest that anyone considering swapping for a Z3 or M3 rack to think about getting a bolt on angle kit first. Its a much better improvement for a lot less cost and work.

I've never put thought into angle kits like that, but that is an obvious side effect when you look at it! 
It is certainly an interesting way to achieve a more "responsive" rack. 

Yay Radii!

2 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I've never put thought into angle kits like that, but that is an obvious side effect when you look at it! 
It is certainly an interesting way to achieve a more "responsive" rack. 

Yay Radii!

Exactly. I wasn't even thinking about it, but then after I drove it I was blown away how much response I gained.

9/10 would suggest.

I would give it a 10/10 but its an eBay part, and we all know those usually fail somehow...