WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

• 2 weeks later...

I "THINK" I fixed the heat. 

I did a quick google search of BMW E36 with "weak interior heat" and found a video of a guy explaining that its a common issue. Turns out the fix was a new cabin filter.... DUH.

So I pulled the glove box and half the dash apart to find this:

IMG_9551.JPGIMG_9554.JPG

Yeah thats about 10 lbs of leaves, dirt, nuts, and whatever else debris made its way in there. 

I reminisced that when I got this car it didnt have the cowl cover and the guy had this car sitting under a tree for over a year with the windows open. I needed to get a vacuum in there and suck out as much as I could before I even was able to remove the old filter. It was wedged tight with material and it wouldnt even move. 

When I got it out, this is what it looked like:

IMG_9555.JPG

$15 across the street and Oriely had me back in business.

Image result for E36 cabin filter

I have yet to drive the car aroudn and see if it makes a difference. BUT I will say just turnung the blower motor on, there is a DRASTIC improvement of the force of the air coming out of the vents. I want to add a simple patch panel to the floor and improve the hacked up trans tunnel to keep the cold air out before I start driving this more often in the cold weather.

Also, does anyone know if 275/75R17's will fit an E36?

image.png

5 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Tire fitment unlikely without saw/grinder action.  That is a big tire.

Good call to replace the cabin filter.  Probably 4 times the airflow now.  I did that and flushed coolant and my heat is now very hot in my e36.

No front fenders, the rear quarters are cut all to hell under the overfenders.

I would flush the collant, but I just did that this spring. I think it should be okay minus the giant holes in the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress is progress. I have been stupid busy lately but I have managed to button up some small things in the process. 

Back about a month or two ago, I was bored and drove this around on a Sunday afternoon. Doing so I went down some gravel roads (at speed 😈) I manage to rip the exhaust clean off from the manifolds back. The old exhaust was pretty hacked up and it was only a matter of time before it finally let go. $50 later on 3" piping and a thrust muffler, I had a few ideas I bounced around with Chubs on what to do. Considering I might add some PSI in the future, we decided it was best to keep the routing very similar but move the V-bands higher and relocate the muffler further forward.  With that I also had the ability to drop the drive shaft and fix (what I thought) was the the final leak; the trans output seal.

My biggest concern was ground clearance. I want to be able to lower this car more, but also raise it and drive over stuff without it getting caught. The result was perfect, and it sounds so much better than I anticipated. (sorry, videos to follow soon)

IMG_9658.JPGIMG_9657.JPGIMG_9659.JPG

I also finally ordered solid sub frame bushings, and upgraded RTABs. I plan on swinging by Tj's as soon as I have time to grab the rear sub frame and axles of a parts car from him.

IMG_9656.JPG

I also found this tag online, and thought it would be a funny addition to hang somewhere.

IMG_9694.JPG

After the car was fixed I drove it a few times and parked it. A few days ago I went over and discovered a new puddle under the car. Not oil, not Brake fluid, not trans fluid, and not coolant. Fuel. 

DAMNIT. The plastic gas tank is pressing into the floor pan and rubbed itself a thin spot to leak from. So do I get a fuel cell, or do I repair the factory tank when I drop the sub frame? 

Thoughts on this from the community? 

3 hours ago, Jdesign said:

After the car was fixed I drove it a few times and parked it. A few days ago I went over and discovered a new puddle under the car. Not oil, not Brake fluid, not trans fluid, and not coolant. Fuel. 

DAMNIT. The plastic gas tank is pressing into the floor pan and rubbed itself a thin spot to leak from. So do I get a fuel cell, or do I repair the factory tank when I drop the sub frame? 

Thoughts on this from the community? 

Mount a fuel cell to the roof.

Looks like I have an answer. Tj also has a spare tank in his parts car that I am going to grab when i get the sub frame. As much as I wanted to mount a tank on the roof, I value that space for parts that fall off, extra wheels, and eventually a couch for @Earl to sit on while I do a burnout.

Tj delivered.

I was able to scoop a tank, rear subframe, brakes, axles, andddd...............Some nice sized tires 255/75R16

IMG_9736.JPGIMG_9738.JPG

I forgot to take pics last time, but I cleaned up the interior, tinted the bright gauges with some left over red,  and added a USB charger. I also removed all of the remaining sound deadening and covers in the back half of the car trying to find the fuel leak. Doing so I found a long lost bag of weed. LOL

IMG_9714.JPGIMG_9713.JPGIMG_9719.JPGIMG_9716.JPG

I also noticed that the door has a built in tire gauge holder! How convenient!IMG_9718.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't lifted this, I did in fact dismount the slicks from the Procast wheels and mounted one tire. Sadly, I think I will need to find different tires or wheels with a much much lower offset. I would need to run a 3" spacer just to make these work. 

HLWX3974.JPG

I also picked up that M3 rear Subframe, trailing arms, and axles from Tj.I striped the entire assembly down and plan on blasting it, painting it, and installing all the new bushings I bought. Sadly taking it apart I found that out that someone previously tried really, REALLY hard to remove one of the axles and smashed it into an unusable state. I am on the hurt for an M3 axle..

IMG_9765.JPGIMG_9782.JPG

Image result for disappointed gif

OHHH wait!

One last thing I almost forgot I bought....... 😈

Related image

Also on the look out for a nice stage 2 or 3 cam.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like its time to check in with you guys on the status of this machine.... 

Its sadly not lifted yet I mounted one tire to the 16" Procast as you saw above. I determined that it will not work unless I buy 5" spacers for all 4 corners. Im not doing that. my original plan was to flip a set of style 5's and get some aggressive 17"  tires. I am still on the look out to go this route. 

The rear sub frame and axles are all completely apart and I began blasting everything. I did not finish this process yet due to the sandblasters lack of interior lighting. I have since ordered LEDs for the inside of the cabinet and will continue once I install them. getting back to the smushed axle threads, I will in fact need new M3 axles. Still on the hunt for these.

Cam and Gear drive THe gear drive is here, but I have still yet to order a cam. There are some many variables to ordering a cam due to the 30 odd years of production of this motor, I want to make sure I order the right cam for the job. I need to do more research. 

Gastank Still leaks, and I sigh everytime I look at it. 

That is all for now. Here is a rendering of the Phuture so this is not a pictureless post:

2018_10_21_BMW_Lifted.jpg

51 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I'm very curious to see your clearance plans to fit a 31" tire at that ride height.
5" spacers are huge! Have you thought about making longer suspension bits? I have had all kinds of horrible/awesome ideas to make that happen with the E30.

I have no idea what size tire I  will end up with. Its whatever shows up for sale that might fit. So 31" may or may not be what I find.

I rather stay away from changing a whole lot for suspension minus MAYBE making lift spacers for the front struts.  

I rather cut into the car if its not structural vs. changing the suspension components. 

• 1 month later...

Well.... Baby update. I have not done much to the car itself, due to a massive of list of other things that take precedent,  BUT I did finally find a set of aggressive tires that "might" fit.

Image result for 245/75/17 duratrac

245/75R17's that will fit on the flipped style 5's. 

I know its very late in the winter season, but anytime, is better than no time to enjoy a lifted anything. I hope to mount and test fit overall offset before I actually lift the car. If I can get away with a 1" spacer and not cut into the chassis, I will be stoked.

'notha update-

I made a trip out to FDL yesterday and Got another set of swing arms, axles, and sub frame from @Sam_Holzmann 

I also got a nice surprise before leaving to pick up the parts. A nice size puddle of coolant under the car. It looks like the cheap radiator that is in it finally failed.

Next up, I will be mounting the new tires to wheels and test fitting with pics.

• 5 months later...

I haven't updated this in awhile, but I figured I could do a check in. 

I have a mound of parts to install in this car and haven't had time to touch it. BUT since Halloween is right around the corner, I might need to get this thing on the road again, as it's perfect for the holiday. 

I did manage to finally find a cam that I will use with the gear drive. It's a Comp cams camshaft spec'd at 236/242, .363"/.361" lobe lift and cut on a 111+4 lsa. I am not 100% if it will work, but I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen?