WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

15 hours ago, P_Roloff said:

I just looked into it a little online, and there was some discussion on a pilots forum about it. It sounds like the runways are better than they used to be in that they aren’t covered in weeds with brush encroaching on the sides, but they’re definitely bumpy. 

I might take a look at it when I get back to Madison in a few weeks, I didn’t even know it was there honestly and I live 15ish minutes away. 

Ive been there both when its been covered in weeds and when its been cleared. There are two guys in specific that fly an autogryos there quite a lot when the weather is nice and they still fly smaller planes out of it because its still an active airfield. So I don't know how easy it will be to get approval to host an event there. I do have a good friend of mine that knows the owner of the airfeild and he also said it will be difficult. I was going to contact him again first and see if I can get more information rather than just going there unannounced. 

Also I would like to add that if you go down the wrong driveway, there is a risk of being shot. Another friend of mine that grew up in CG rode his bike down that driveway and had an angry neighbor fire a warning shot to scare him off. LOL

26 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Ive been there both when its been covered in weeds and when its been cleared. There are two guys in specific that fly an autogryos there quite a lot when the weather is nice and they still fly smaller planes out of it because its still an active airfield. So I don't know how easy it will be to get approval to host an event there. I do have a good friend of mine that knows the owner of the airfeild and he also said it will be difficult. I was going to contact him again first and see if I can get more information rather than just going there unannounced. 

Also I would like to add that if you go down the wrong driveway, there is a risk of being shot. Another friend of mine that grew up in CG rode his bike down that driveway and had an angry neighbor fire a warning shot to scare him off. LOL

Jesus. Maybe I won’t be going to check it out. Talk about crazy neighbors. 

the angle kit sounds like a great way to get quicker steering on the e30, but the kits are super expensive, and they seem a bit tedious (i.e. special bearings/parts that will wear out). seems like a rack would still be a better option, unless i'm missing something.  looks like they reduce lock-to-lock by a half a turn at least.

4 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

the angle kit sounds like a great way to get quicker steering on the e30, but the kits are super expensive, and they seem a bit tedious (i.e. special bearings/parts that will wear out). seems like a rack would still be a better option, unless i'm missing something.  looks like they reduce lock-to-lock by a half a turn at least.

You are missing something. They are just under $50 shipped. Its not a complete angle kit that replaces your LCA's, its just an aluminum adapter that changes the mounting point of your outer tie rod to the knuckle pushing it closer to the main centerline (A'shown below)) of your wheels rotating axis. If that makes sense..

Image result for explaining pivoting angle

A= the knuckle and hub where the wheel is rotating

B=where the existing tie rod was

C= where the tie rod is now after the angle kit

J= either direction you can steer?- (I have no idea I stole this image from the internet)

15 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i understand the concept, it just appears due to the e30's steering design, the kits are complicated and are between $300-400.

there seems to be no simple version available like the e36/e46.

That's because most people just switch to e36 front struts and knuckles when drifting an e30.

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

i understand the concept, it just appears due to the e30's steering design, the kits are complicated and are between $300-400.

there seems to be no simple version available like the e36/e46.

Ahhh I see what you mean.

2 hours ago, Earl said:

That's because most people just switch to e36 front struts and knuckles when drifting an e30.

And yeah that's probably the reason and makes the most sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically just making a mental note here for myself-

• The upper LP hose on the PS pump finally split good enough to leak a more fluid that I am happy about.
  • The output seal on the transmission leaks and should be fixed. 
  • I need to replace it and I also developed a creaking/clunking noise in the rear that I need to inspect. 
  • Keep my eyes pealed for a small VCR for making a switch panel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So time for an update.

I last drove this car on the cruise to Road America through the kettles, and Im sure some of you are aware I had trouble getting the car to turn over after shutting it down. (thanks for the push X2 everyone)

After I got home, I checked my battery, and alternator to make sure that it wasn't the issue. Sure enough, 12.9 when the car was off, 14.2 when the car was on. So I assumed it was the starter, and parked the car back in its spot and didn't touch it until this past Friday night. 

I had plans to drive to Road America again this past weekend as I had free tickets and a VIP spot in the tower for the Vintage races. Twisting my arm, a friend of mine convinced me that I should fix this car and drive it there. In typical fashion, I waited until 7 pm to get it on the lift and look at it.

The stater was fairly easy to get to and only has two bolts holding it in. That was the easy part. I soon learned that a 1990 starter was VERY different from the upgraded version released in 1993 that I needed. I made it back to the store within 15 mins of them closing to exchange it. Once I unbolted the power cable I noticed that corrosion had occurred at both the terminals and the power wire was only attached by a few strands of wire. I had to chop the wire shorter, replace and seal the ends to prevent it from happening again.

Once the starter was off, I also discovered a bonus item in the bell housing resting against the starter. A socket head bolt for ??????

Starter comparison:

starter.jpg

Corroded terminal:

IMG_8366.JPG

Bonus bolt:

IMG_8365.JPG

With the new starter installed it fired right up without issue and as some of you may have witnessed, I made it to RA and back without a hiccup.

I also acquired some new wheels from a guy I met at the Picnic. They are Borbet Procast 16x7.5. They seem to be really rare and I am having trouble even finding another set in this size. They seem very fitting for the car and I am looking for paint and style suggestions before I mount them!

IMG_8368.JPG

Related image

13 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

My buddies reaction when they saw this at RA for vintage weekend was absolutely priceless.

I can't begin to tell you how many people stopped to ask about it. It was pretty funny watching people whip their phone out to snap a pic of my car as I drove past. I guess in a sea of Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Porsche's its was pretty hard to not notice it. 🤣

• 2 months later...

Sadly I havent driven this car very much as I hoped in the past few months. Time, weather, life, and other projects have been standing in the way.

Because of this, I have been considering a new approach for this car the next few months. Since my winter/daily is starting to rust, and a civic hybrid isn't the most entertaining thing to drive in the snow, thoughts of lifting this car and adding some knobby tires keeps popping into my head. 

Thoughts on this idea? Am I going down a wormhole? Anyone have experience lifting an E36? 

2 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Sadly I havent driven this car very much as I hoped in the past few months. Time, weather, life, and other projects have been standing in the way.

Because of this, I have been considering a new approach for this car the next few months. Since my winter/daily is starting to rust, and a civic hybrid isn't the most entertaining thing to drive in the snow, thoughts of lifting this car and adding some knobby tires keeps popping into my head. 

Thoughts on this idea? Am I going down a wormhole? Anyone have experience lifting an E36? 

Don't do it, I don't know who in their right mind would lift a BMW.