WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

31 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

i see red dots...be careful #baldessari

Yeah, that was me spraying Transparent red over the black fender first to see what would happen. Both of the front fenders are plasti-dipped over white, and it sucks soooooo bad. I hate that shit with a passion. So once I cut the fenders all to hell, I have to soak them in vinegar to get all the plastidip off and decide what to do from there.  

Not much has happened in the last few days, work and an exhausting weekend left me very little time to mess with the car. I did manage to find some images with the red halos installed. I also added an HID to the drivers side headlight. I need to wire the halos into a separate switch as well, currently they are just part of the running / parking lights.

IMG_1266.JPGIMG_1255.JPG

Spent some time working on this pile over the holiday weekend. I managed to get the seat bracket made, and mig welded it together using the old seat rail bases. I also found some matte black vinyl I had laying around and made a window banner which I managed to destroy applying it myself. I will make another when I have an extra set of hands. I also ran wiring for the red halos to the factory fog light switch instead of a toggle. 

After all of that and I had the seat bolted into place, I started looking at the Hydro lever and where I planned to mount it wasn't going to work. I have since ripped out all of the center console and Im thinking I might have to weld a plate next to the shifter on the trans tunnel to make a nice spot for it.  I thought mounting this thing was going to be easy.

Le sigh 

IMG_0723.JPGIMG_0724.JPGIMG_0725.JPGIMG_0726.JPGIMG_0728.JPGIMG_0729.JPG

I also noticed now that the car is back on the ground that is seems to be leaning or lower on one side...... Thinking back to adjusting the coilovers, one side was off about 20mm or so compared to the other side. I think there is something funky going on here......  It could also be Im just seeing things as its really really hard to tell exactly with the bashed to complete shit arches.

My E30 was slightly lower on one side too. 

Wait, just did some research, Its lower on one side from the factory for "balance" with a driver and no passenger. Neat.

IMG_0730.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

I added this power switch when I first got the car because of the crazy, stupid, hack wiring and components that would stay on with the ignition off, and I cant remember if I mentioned it or not. I have since fixed 94.7% of the wiring issues, but an external power switch still seems like a nice safety feature.

IMG_0732.JPG

Honestly I'm more worried about the red key falling out, even though it locks into place when "powered"

In other news, I mounted a PS reservoir from my e30 in this car last night, and am going on my lunch break to have the high pressure line custom made. Pics will come once that's complete.

22 hours ago, Jdesign said:

. I also found some matte black vinyl I had laying around and made a window banner which I managed to destroy applying it myself. I will make another when I have an extra set of hands.

IMG_0723.JPG

wrinkly old man balls window banner.

Dave - school him on applying the vinyl wet.  you blew my mind when you told me it could be done, and I'm sure it will solve the problem here.

There is such a difference between what Jason is doing and your run-of-the-mill crappy car build.

The run-of-the-mill crappy car build:  intentionally rusted body panels, or fenders draped entirely in stickers/wraps, an aluminum tow-hook, Domo-kun drift charm, pink dildo shift knob, some idiotic windshield banner that attempts to label the style and status of the individual driving it, and either extremely cheap wheels or extremely expensive wheels. The intention is attention. Show up to Automotion and get 1000 likes on Instagram then go home and feel hollow because deep inside you are an asshole and you know it.

Jason's build:  Ratty piece of crap build with genuine creativity and an overall cohesiveness. The entire car takes on a theme which drives the style and direction of the build instead of random aimless "mods". Its art. Balldesacki should take note. It has some sort of goal other than being an attention-whore on wheels. This is why I enjoy like this car/build despite not subscribing to this particular genre of automotive enthusiasm.

keep on keepin on

@straight6pwr Good point! Ive partially wrapped cars before( I didnt finish because it wasnt my car) Using liquid helps a lot! I guess it was kind of like an "AH HA" moment and I just started doing it without thinking when I found the roll of vinyl lol.

@Snap Thank you so much dear Sir, your kind words mean a lot to me. I want it to look like a car existing in the wrong era, a shitty period of time that has yet to happen, but I certainly don't want to make it look like its tossed together to get there. I really cant wait to start actually doing some fabrication and tin work and creating some drastic craziness to set it off. Everyday, I fix one thing, then 10 more ideas flood the list of what I could do, and I am enjoying every second of it, I'm glad you are too.

Saw this video on Facebook, realized that it needs to happen. I am going to start collecting calculators, old radios, and other random electronics. If you have some, send them my way. 😂

I also made some quick mock ups of the control levers so I can get a better idea on proportions and mounting location for the hydro brake.

IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0774.JPG

Great NEWS!! I got custom fittings for splicing the high pressure steering lines together and a high pressure fitting to convert the steering rack from a banjo to a push-lok. I did this because I am using a PS pump from a 2000 V6 Ford explorer like I explained before. So I wanted a way to create a HP line without spending a ton of money on AN fittings and high quality hose. I also didn't have a banjo line and bolt handy on the rack (car)side. I went to Hy-Quip which is a local fitting / hose supplier that deals with high pressure industrial hydraulics and all the fittings only cost me a $10!

I used the OEM BMW reservoir from my E30 and mounted it off of the valve cover. The Brass fitting mounts to an adapter that mounts to a 90° and is on the return side of the rack back to the reservoir and doesn't use a hose clamp. I have used push-lok before, but this fitting looks different than what I have seen. The guy at Hyquip said it should be good for up to 3000psi, I don't know if I believe him, but it certainly was a bitch to get on like all push-lok lines. The HP lines were oddly the same inner dimensions and he suggested using another push-loc style barb, with this, I did use clamps because I dont trust it with the high pressure.

Low and behold it all worked. I did have some frothy ATF for a few minutes while I worked all the air out of the system from not having PS for who knows how long but I have POWAAARRR. Surprisingly it feels really good too. Its not over powered, and its not too stiff. I think I might be driving around this weekend!

IMG_0776.JPGIMG_0777.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_0780.JPG

The other thing that I did was install my mocked up levers so I can start to get a feel of where I should mount this hydro brake, and how big of a platform I should use.

IMG_0783.JPG

1 minute ago, Daggerty said:

Nice work, the push fitting will hold that pressure for sure. 

I'm just imagining you letting some one drive your car and ripping the hydro back trying to go from 3rd to 4th.

HAHAHA yeah that would be epic! I think I might make the shifter a lot shorter. I kind of wanted to go with this chaos of levers look, but I dont think its going to help me functionally. So I might end up hacking a good two inches out of the shifter. Exactly why I made the mock ups though.

Got a few tasks crossed off of my list this weekend. It was super cold so I decided against driving the car just in case something happened I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.

• Lowered the steering column 
  • Checked shifter height and positioning
  • Checked hydro location and mounting position.
  • Start figuring out what to do with the hood and the trunk

So first up was the Steering column. I needed to lower the steering wheel now that the seat was mounted and about 6 inches lower than before. I also hate that all the older BMWS dont have tilt and they all seem to be stuck at a bus driver angle. I have to take care of this on my E30 yet which seems like its going to be way more difficult.

I tried a few different things to see if I could get the fracture/shear bolts out easier than just cutting into them. I wanted to do this in hopes that I could use the same method on my E30. I first tried to use a chisel and pound them lose like I read online but had no such luck. I then tried to pound an extractor socket over the bolt also pending no results. I gave in and cut horizontal notches into the heads of the bolts, and used an impact screw driver. Luckily they both came out. Getting a tool in there to cut them was very difficult because I wanted to make a cut turning them into a flat head screw. How annoying. I know my e30 has even less room. :( Sorry I have no pictures of this, I was too busy swearing.

Next I started looking at mounting the Hydro lever. Since I want to mount it along side of the shifter, I needed to remove some rubber material that someone used to cover the massive hole left by the auto shifter. So once I removed that cover, I was in for an interesting surprise. It turns out someone decided that a trans fill plug wasn't needed and only two shifter housing bolts were plenty to secure the shifter(you can see this on the left below)... I could literally look into the transmission and see fluid and metal parts inside. Sweet. So I took the shifter out and found that the two bolts that were holding it in were American thread, NOT the M8x1.25 they should be. So I bought new bolts and have to tap the threads. Besides all of that, I did find out I have a B&M "PRO RIPPER" short throw which I also need to order a shift bushing for because there wasn't one, AT ALL.  

IMG_0791.JPGIMG_0794.JPG

Once I figured all this out, I realized there was no way to mount the hydro lever where I wanted without the passenger banging their knee into it in every turn. So I asked my friend google what other people have done, and I saw some things that brought me to the following conclusion. I will need to make a two part lever and mount the master between the seats like so.

IMG_0789.JPGIMG_0787.JPG

I also started looking into what I might do with the hood. I have yet to come across some venting that I liked that is also fairly cheap. At a quick glance, online suggests I might have to order what I need if I cant find it locally. I want to make louvers, but actually buying or making a die, is way out of my price range. I was looking into home vent/ air returns and found a few of those around $20.. they might just do the trick. Otherwise I am just going to cut into the hood and bend the material down for venting like the red hood below. I figure if I mess up I can just cover it with the home venting.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdF4BON5NMr51-eu07qshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPQRdDNyeTcStvC2ZhfNo automatic alt text available.

HOOD_Brainstorming_2.jpg

( Also take note that I'm starting to consider how to make the bars for the windows) :shifty:  I have most of the material, I just need some flat stock.

And on a whim, I also modified the door handles similar to the Condor E30 ones. I know they are plastic, and will probably break sooner or later, but that doesn't matter to me, then I just get to come up with a new creative way to open the door. 

IMG_0785.JPG