WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

13 hours ago, B C said:

You need to make at least one TP run in this thing and fill the dang roof rack. 

T H I S. 

More progress last night. I got the AGK reinforcements welded in. It was more work than I expected, and I also had a quick panic as the fuel lines for the fuel expansion tank were still in the car and I may have had a small fire😆.

IMG_0807.JPG

Cleaned

IMG_0805.JPG

Mocked 

IMG_0806.JPG

Welded

IMG_0808.JPG

Painted

IMG_0809.JPG

I also got all the rear brake lines replaced.  

IMG_0804.JPG

My last challenge is to finish repainting the control arms, diff, and swap the delrin bushings from the old swing arms to the new ones.

• 4 weeks later...

So an update here is long overdue. With working from home I have had more time to work on projects at the shop but this one has got the most attention because it has been stuck on the lift. Lifting it wasn't as easy as I was expecting it to go, but it wasn't because of lifting it in general. It was more because I kept running into issues I wasn't anticipating. 

The steering actually worked out once the car was back on the ground, so luckily, all I needed to do up front was hammer the wheel wells back and remove the front bumper brackets.

IMG_0713.JPGIMG_1017.JPG

Then I ran into the axle stubs of the diff being too small. I should have known but I completely overlooked this and had to source stubs. Found some locally and the guy actually gave me a whole M3 diff for $40.

IMG_E0873.JPGIMG_E0881.JPG

Once the axles were in, and everything was in place, I went to install the brakes. Being an idiot, I forgot I had M3 brakes in a box, and I bought another set from @Sam_Holzmann Before that, I also learned that E46 brakes are not the same as the internet says. THE HARD WAY. Luckily I sold them right away and broke even. the brake shoes for the parking brake on the M3 stuff is bigger, and there is a casting tab that the shoes ride on not allowing non-M rotors to fit on the hubs. Although the caliper is the same, and the pads are the same, the carriers and spacing is also different. 

IMG_E0883.JPGIMG_E0885.JPGIMG_E0884.JPG

Another issue I ran into was the Fuel tank leak. the vent hose that goes to the expansion tank was ripped and I had to replace it. Now on the TI's and other BMW's there is an access panel. This car for some reason, does not have that, so I have to fish the hoses back through using a piece of wire and a lot of swearing. No lie, this alone took a good 4 hours. AND yes I know its not fuel hose, but I used what I had. Fumes are really only the main thing that pass through it anyways

IMG_E0878.JPGIMG_E0880.JPG

Another hiccup was the length needed for the rear shocks. Needing the extra height, I was able to find some coilover sleeves for the springs in a bin of spare parts, but that caused the length of the shocks to be way too short. I thought about how all these cheap CHYNAH coilovers use the same bodies and remembered that I had a set of brand new coilovers in a binn for the Lexus. Well suck me sideways, they worked, and added just enough length.

IMG_E0932.JPG

Finally I set the car on the ground and ran into one last issue. The spacing of the tires to the mounting points of the swing arm just were not working. I  cut away the rockers, and the quarters as much as I could, but it just wasn't enough. I ordered some 2" spacers and they gave me just enough clearance... and by just enough, I mean 1-2mm. Im hoping I can adjust everything a touch more so that it doesn't hit while driving, but I havent got to that step yet. 

IMG_1020.JPGIMG_E0928.JPGIMG_1019.JPGIMG_1025.JPG

I was able to seam seal the trunk after I welded in the new floors. I was also able to repurpose this access cover inside the car to cover the vent hole in the trunk that was missing. it almost looks like its was meant to be LOL.

IMG_E0916.JPGIMG_E0917.JPGIMG_E0918.JPGIMG_E0920.JPG

The car is on the ground now and everything is together. I still need to bleed the brakes and fix the radiator, but then it should be back in business.

IMG_1033.JPGIMG_1037.JPG

2 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

#staypositivecambergang

I have yet to actually adjust the lower control arms, which is funny, because before there was negative camber (only like 1-2 degrees) but that just shows you how much the geometry changes in the travel of the suspension. Im also afraid that as I add camber it might make my rubbing/ interference issue with 31" tires worse. Fingers crossed for "self clearancing" videos.

• 7 months later...

I havent posted on this site in awhile but I did manage to go out and about with this thing. It drives really well surprisingly with the big wheels and welded diff. I even managed to (painfully) drive it to Milwaukee and back. I will need to add some clearance to the rear quarters yet again as it rubs when the suspension is compressed hard in the rear. 

ECC55042-6741-464B-8E50-1B050B1F0896.jpeg89AF8F2C-B2AD-495D-BEA2-580B85393FF6.jpegA6EDDB62-9CCF-49EA-92CB-86E21B898376.jpeg65164839-1215-4B39-BBF0-040C8DADA1CA.jpeg01B21863-4C31-42CB-85D1-BCAAB4E98E86.jpegCAE66775-7F80-424C-8957-D8F6C3D863F9.jpegAC8CC9BE-DA9A-4C45-8FE9-FEF6631F6649.jpeg

4F927613-85AC-43F4-97B5-E7CB96598609.jpeg

I would also like to add that it still does massive burnouts with the big wheels.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:09 PM, HipMF said:

Can't imagine the number of strange looks/people taking picture while driving something like that to Milwaukee.

Curious... what's the painful part? Rub? Steering wobble? What's this thing like to drive?

Surprisingly it drives straight and true with no noticeable shaking. I got it up to 90+ and it was fine. The painful part is that although it’s lifted, the suspension is very stiff and the race seat that’s in it is not comfortable for long journeys as half the padding is missing. Better seats would make it much more enjoyable to drive. 

Im still chasing the heat issue. Originally I replaced the cabin filter which had 10lbs of leaves and debris smashed into it. That somewhat fixed the heat, but I still have weak heat to the dash vents. I have a new heater valve in hopes that fixes my problem. The other thing it might be is the heater core which I plan to flush when I do the valve. 

Replaced the heater valve and flushed the heater core last night. It really needed it. 

27B98957-F795-4626-AB13-4CE1A97E82AD.jpeg67C54FFC-9F3D-4F82-A66E-DF8F0B713A2D.jpeg
It took a few buckets to finally get some clear water. 

70AEC4A3-D7B1-461D-82DA-2FC8288A2D4A.jpeg4F4F8D9A-E611-42F4-B9E2-E1D85A547F1F.jpeg428F0B57-7E79-4B48-8C41-8AEF425EF9C2.jpeg

After all this work, it seems like the heat is much better, but the flap door for the dash vents must be the issue. I get strong defrost and floor air, but not mid level. It sounds like the air is hitting something rather than flowing through. Might have to pull the dash apart. 

One last thing is I painted the wheels. It’s been bothering me because they looked so trashy. I must say the black isn’t dirty enough yet, but it looks a lot better.

37BB51F2-4967-4D07-A520-C0592310E89B.jpeg

The flaps are operated by stepper motors.  On my '93 I have had issues with intermittently the mid level ones won't open.  The sound changes to a sound like the fan is blocked and whistling.  I haven't tried fixing it though, but I imagine either the stepper has an issue or linkage is sticking.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:06 AM, jc43089 said:

The flaps are operated by stepper motors.  On my '93 I have had issues with intermittently the mid level ones won't open.  The sound changes to a sound like the fan is blocked and whistling.  I haven't tried fixing it though, but I imagine either the stepper has an issue or linkage is sticking.

YUP that's exactly what's going on. Ive watched the linkage and it all seems to move as its intended to.  At this point im not sure what's the best (cheapest) option. I might just replace the steppers with manual levers or something stupid. I just want to fix it quick and easy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, B C said:

Please tell me this is the winter daily driver.

i’d love to see some old-timer get utterly confused about what kind of car it is by the sensory overload they would receive.

The looks I get are hilarious. I will daily it as much as I can, although its kind a pain in the ass getting in and out of a fixed back race seat. Maneuvering around the target parking lot is also very obnoxious.   

• 2 weeks later...