WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

more 5 speed swap help questions

cpandrewschmidt

Hi all, these are probably dumb questions but cant seem to find much online while I'm doing my swap.

picture 1.  old trans this cable was connected by the throttle body and went into here in the auto trans.  On the manual I don't see anywhere for it.  What is it for?

2. Next two pics.  I put a new CSB on the drive shaft of the manual. The old one was completely shot.  When I pulled the auto drive shaft I noticed that one side of the CSB is more concave than the other.  On the manual you can see how I installed it.  The concave side is opposite of the way the auto was when I pulled off.  Does this matter?

3. On the driveshaft.  Manual DS on top.  I separated the middle "teeth" section to get the CSB on.  My idiot self forgot to mark lines on them.  Am I screwed now and I'll likely be out of balance?  Driveshaft did come with the new 5 speed, but there are no noticeable markings on the Guibo side to line up flanges on the driveshaft.  

Thanks again

Andrew

transmission.jpg

guibo1.jpg

guibo2.jpg

11 minutes ago, cpandrewschmidt said:

Hi all, these are probably dumb questions but cant seem to find much online while I'm doing my swap.

picture 1.  old trans this cable was connected by the throttle body and went into here in the auto trans.  On the manual I don't see anywhere for it.  What is it for?

2. Next two pics.  I put a new CSB on the drive shaft of the manual. The old one was completely shot.  When I pulled the auto drive shaft I noticed that one side of the CSB is more concave than the other.  On the manual you can see how I installed it.  The concave side is opposite of the way the auto was when I pulled off.  Does this matter?

3. On the driveshaft.  Manual DS on top.  I separated the middle "teeth" section to get the CSB on.  My idiot self forgot to mark lines on them.  Am I screwed now and I'll likely be out of balance?  Driveshaft did come with the new 5 speed, but there are no noticeable markings on the Guibo side to line up flanges on the driveshaft.  

Thanks again

Andrew

1. kick down cable.  not used on manual trans.

2. just go with however the manual one is specified.  here is the real oem diagram. you could also search for pictures of e30 driveshafts for sale or in DIY articles to confirm others installations. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1113-USA-04-1987-E30-BMW-325i&diagId=26_0243

3.it could be out of balance, sure. you might have to install/test/remove if you notice vibration. or a shop can balance it again before you install. time vs. money, i guess.  if you decided to do it yourself, make sure to mark it now before you install so you have a starting point if you have to take it out again.

1)what Dan said

2)The csb is most likely offset (kind of hard to tell in picture) but it will fit much better one way. By much better I mean the DS will be more straight because of the offset. (I think some early model cars didn't have the offset-I cant remember). If you still need help I can dig up some old pics I have from when I changed mine out

When I originally finished my swap I completely ignored the offset on the CSB and the DS had some angle to it. Recently I just replaced it and correctly installed it and the new DS sits very straight.

3)also what Dan said. If there's no marks guess and check. If you have a DS shop nearby they should be able to figure it out in no time at all

5 minutes ago, cpandrewschmidt said:

thanks, i'll just see how it lines up when I get to the point of putting it back in.  Hopefully finish her up Saturday.

Andrew

You'll be able to visually tell when lining it up. If you lay in the trans tunnel and look at the diff input flange through the oval in the rear subframe you should see which side it is offset towards.