WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

N55 MHD in beta! and Single top mount turbo!

i_love_cars

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42577

After tracking this for a bit it seems like it is actually happening, which should be 100x better than what we've had with Cobb. Pretty exciting for N55 cars that want to unlock the full potential of the engine. As soon as this is advertised as "stable" I will be putting it on my car. 

The tester in the link above is having MHD tested along with BMS tuning on his car with a single top mount turbo. Sounds like Enzo Performance is doing a group buy for like $7600 for the first 20 people and $9500 after that for their turbo kit which is asinine in price and really just because they are the only game in town. But it is promising for people who like killing money and the overall future of the platform viability. I personally think the N55 is going to crap out in the crank assembly with crumbled rods before hitting the peak of these turbos, but I'm sure there are people who will spend 970970990 dollars to build the motor with a forged bottom end in order to reliably handle the power. 

3 hours ago, Snap said:

What is MHD doing that Cobb isnt?

in addition to what Pat said, MHD has been able to crack a lot farther than what Cobb ever could. Cobb gave up working on the N54 and N55 platforms like 3 years ago. MHD should allow a much deeper tune for the N55. Right now, with a Cobb you are limited to basically fuel trims, timing, and AFR curve. That's literally it. 

If the MHD is as effective as it is for N54, then we should see the ability to get at valvetronic and vanos tables, anti-lag, disabling under-boost false alarm codes, and a bunch of other shit I've gleaned from Terry in passing. It will seriously open up the platform. Terry is already working on backend flashes to work in conjunction with the JB4 as the boost controller. 

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

i know haha that's great. You really need to be dedicated to throw that kind of money away. I got into the N5x platform because it's supposed to be "relatively" cheap to mod :D

I'll just grab my MHD flash and throw a meth kit on the car and be happy getting a nice bump from 475 to 525, and be ahead of the game by like $13,000 and still retaining a streetable vehicle