WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Daggerty

• 1 month later...

Well just been driving this thing and not working on it. It's different, but there is one problem once I put the new turbo on I get boost creep. Whenever I go full throttle below 3k it will spike to 12psi when boost initially builds, wastegate is 8psi. It will drop back to 8 after but causes some jerking and odd a/f ratio. Both turbos were egay turd blows, but the ARs and trim on these don't always match up to advertised. So basically will be going to an external wastegate, which means a new exhaust manifold unless I weld it to the current one that is cast or the turbo exhaust housing which is also cast. Time will tell

Also did this today 

IMG_1332.JPG

lost power and car ran like crap, got it home figured it was just an intercooler hose that blew off but it was this guy. Might upgrade this but have a few spares so we will see how long the next few last. Out of all the places it would've gave out I didn't expect it to be there. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After about 1000 miles this year I had my first mechanical issue. IMG_1998.JPGIMG_1999.JPG

Had it cranked up to 16 psi due to unfriendly boost air. I did a 1st gear launch and heard a little pop and saw black pieces skipping down the road behind me.  

Radiator is ok one decent dent but no drips, will confirm tomorrow.

It appears that the engine torqued too much and caught the shroud and blew up, not the classic fan explosion.

time to install the electric fan I bought over a year ago