WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1M Project

Rawspeed

I have been browsing this forum on and off for a while now and finally decided to start posting..

I had the honor to do a lot of work on this 1M and thought I would share.DSC_1551-4.jpg

I always admired these things because I thought they were a smaller turbo charged E92 M3.. We started off by installing AKG bushings in the rear subframe, sending the diff out to increase the lock, and installing Ground Control coil overs with MCS shocks. Since we had the whole rear suspension out, the owner wanted to install a sway bar since the only way to do it is drop the whole rear end.

DSC_1663.jpg

DSC_1677.jpg

Next we worked on turbo inlets and outlets.. I must admit they weren't very fun, the rear turbo is very tucked in there and you have to cut out the stock inlet to even remove it from the back of the motor.

DSC_1681.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the intercooler but we put on a 1000hp core that was massive. Definitely over kill for stock turbos but he plans on going single turbo in the somewhat near future. To finish off the intake system, we fabricated a custom charge pipe so it could fit in the now tight drivers side. We used a 335d coolant reservoir and a custom power steering bracket to be able to use the turbo inlet set up he wanted for the passenger side. Wish I took some pictures of it so I'll have to remember that next time it's back in.  The tires came in and we were able to squeeze a 295 on the rear and a 275 on the front, should have plenty of grip for this car.

Now was time for the exhaust fabrication. The owner really liked the Meisterschaft exhaust but wanted to keep it 3.5 inch and I felt up to the challenge. With not a lot of room to play with made these custom tips outta mandrel bends in order to fit two 3.5in tubes inside the opening in the bumper of 7 5/8.

DSC_4432.jpg

The dual 3 in downpipes came with 2 bolt flanges on the end but they necked down to 2.5 in holes so we decided to convert them to v-band and make them true 3 inch. Then came the task of making the custom Y pipe to go from dual 3 inch to 3.5 inch single. Luckily I had a piece that converted 4 in oval to 3.5 in round  that made my life a little easier.

fb.jpg

The rear section was very time consuming but was worth it.

fb2.jpg13726806_1169674516418713_7182454782993560682_nb2.jpgfb3.jpg

That's pretty much it, thought others might enjoy some pictures of this car as much as I enjoyed working on it! I'm very eager to see how this thing does at the track, maybe I can report back soon!

47 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

very cool!

and dear god, how many bushings/control arms/joints are on the rear end of one of these things?! my wallet is trembling and i dont even own one.

Yeah there's a lot.. I feel like every sports car now a days has some kind of 5 link in the rear. 

On August 6, 2016 at 2:19 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

You're at road america!  I waved to you! I was just creeping the car at your camp site!

Edit:  Just read your thread and realized it's not your car, regardless, it's bad ass!

Yeah Sam, the owner, camped up there with the car this weekend. I'm sure he appreciated the wave haha.