WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

540i Swapped Rat rod Build thread

ThatRatRodProject

I keep hearing Olds, but I see no Olds...

Anyway, if it's from the late 30s or early 40s the e30 chassis could be closer to the right size. Normally I prefer traditional, "period-correct" rods and customs, but definitely approve of the idea. At least it's better than taking some 40s car and putting it on an S-10 chassis... never understood that one. I get it, it's about the right size, body-on-frame construction, and cheap... but it's also... an S-10... not generally know for their handling, comfort or cool-factor.

I am picking up the Olds mobile on Friday. I will post pictures. I promise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Alright first off I'm sorry. There's been a lot of change of plans from my last post.

1st off I stopped posting in wi Bimmers because my 540 I swap wasn't going to go through. the guy I was going to get the car from turned into a real dickhead and didn't want to sell it to me.

So I started exploring other power train routes I ended up picking up an aluminum LS 5.3.

And between all of this I realize making my own frame was not possible to be street legal.

so I also started exploring other frame options.

I was able to find a 1936 Buick touring sedan frame that came with the title. So I purchased it and it is registered with the state and I now have a legal frame.

Progress photos

de41eb502e5b15c90312e1661c59fab5.jpg

Currently the car is sitting on the frame and I am fabricating door jams.

71bfcc72b11dd4dcd67e68e01cfe0581.jpg17a65ac8c4c95e7e1f7fd8da1927e50b.jpg

During this process I have been designing a front control arm independent suspension.

The purchase items that I will be using with the suspension will be

-mustang style 2 pinto spindles

-5/8 hiems joints

-pinto ball joints

- QA1coil over shocks.

There will be custom control arms.

ed70bc6166fa3e84c12c4f96ef69478d.jpg

So the reason I am posting all this is because I finally got the 540 I E 34 from the guy I was trying to purchase it from.

So I have been pondering these ideas for a while and I believe I can make the get rag 420 transmission bolt up to the LS motor.

Therefore I will be able to use the driveline, the rear subframe, Differential, and control arms out of the 540 I

The reason I am not going to using the M60 Motor is because I am concerned about the reliability.

But this morning I purchase the car. Had to tow it to my house put some new gas in it checked all the fluids and a new battery and turned the key and it started right up.

Runs and idles and there's no codes all around it sounds really healthy.

So I still have many plans for it and it will get finished.