WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The "I finally bought an E30" Build Thread!

suspenceful

• 3 weeks later...

Jake's boss from his previous job was nice enough to lend us a brand new extractor to use on the carpets of the E30. The only stipulation was that we had to take pictures of the process. Brutal, I know. It took me around an hour or so to extract the carpets and even though the results are not inredibly drastic, I still think they look way better than they previously did.

Before:

alWx1Nm.jpg

1fg2BLd.jpg

0l7rMWJ.jpg

aJJGItQ.jpg

After:

6g8Yxig.jpg

fwIM3Fy.jpg

OPbrfme.jpg

We will have the remainder of the parts for the engine refresh for this weekend where the plan is to at minimum have the motor back in the car.

Yup, they turned out nice. I'd just note that the first picture is after seat removal, the second set is after vacuuming, and the third set is after carpet extracting.

Thanks for clearing up the first pic, thought the seats were still in

Lol jk I know what you meant I'm a douche

Carpets look much better

Excited to see this gutted and turned into a full on track car with no carpet

;)

• 4 weeks later...

We do actually still work this, albeit not a ton in the past couple of weeks. However, last night we did make a good amount of progress. As soon as the clutch/flywheel and the transmission is mounted to the motor it will be ready to go back in. Probably would have been this coming weekend if I weren't leaving for vacation on Saturday morning. Hopefully the following week.

Also noting, we pressured washed the bay as well as pulled some of the unnecessary crap out. Also pressured washed the block. But we are morons and did it right next to the car, so the whole driver side is covered in a bunch of the crap that was on the block. It’s going to need another good wash after it gets running.

Actually looks like something now.

LA1lFYQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IQVq62k.jpg

Motor is back in the car. Trans is all hooked up an mounted. If any of the resident M20 experts wants to make a trip to the Fox Valley area, we will wine and dine you for your knowledge of M20 wiring harnesses. I'd say we probably know where 60% of it goes, but are unsure about the rest. 

Car is close to starting, probably one more solid afternoon/night of connecting the wiring/hoses before its ready to (hopefully) start.

The 4 to be cautious of:

The positives that go to the block on the firewall and not mixing any of those up with the ground wire on the strut tower,

The idle control valve and TPS are often mixed up. Check that you can hear/feel the idle control valve humming with the ignition on to know if that is correct.

The crank sensor and cylinder id sensor (inductive pickup from spark plug wire) are often mixed up too. If you didnt mark those then its really trial and error. Id the engine cranks and doesnt start, switch those around

The coolant temperature sensor connectors are pretty simple, just look at the number if actual pins inside the connector. The single pinned plug goes to the brown sensor for the gauge cluster sensor and the connector with two pins goes to the blue sensor for the ecu

Thanks for chiming in guys. Ripping a motor out of a car that we're both very unfamiliar and not marking things with wasn't the smartest idea.

Anyone with a running/driving M20 (I know I'm asking a lot here) want to drive to Appleton? We can literally go back and forth and plug things in as we see them.

Willing to pay for gas, beer, food, etc. Would be much appreciated!

Might be making another run up to Appleton to pick up some more parts from 6670charger again next week. When I finish the timing belt and a few other odds and ends on the vert (I'll hopefully have that stuff done this weekend, so I could make the trip next week sometime) I could drive that up there and stop by if you can wait till then

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

Might be making another run up to Appleton to pick up some more parts from 6670charger again next week. When I finish the timing belt and a few other odds and ends on the vert (I'll hopefully have that stuff done this weekend, so I could make the trip next week sometime) I could drive that up there and stop by if you can wait till then

If we're still not done by the time you come up, let me know!

I messaged Collin and he said he could probably come up sometime next week. Ideally, I'll like to try starting it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Coil overs for the car were purchased. They are JOM's with very few miles driven on them and we got a great deal on them. Rear strut mounts are shot so new ones have been ordered, will be installing once new hardware arrives.

Z6CHkL3.jpg

Ben and I got the wiring harness all hooked up tonight. Started cranking, but no start. It is definitely getting fuel, but unsure of anything else at this point. Will definitely need to check to make sure it is getting spark, make sure all the fuel rail connections are secure, plug connections are secure, firing order is correct, etc. Will have to retrace our footsteps to see if we maybe made any stupid mistakes, potentially something not correctly hooked up by the ECU? Ben pulled the harness connection from the ECU to make it easier in the bay for a couple things, so the two remaining wires might not be properly connected? Both of the ground wires are connected, all of the sensors should be mated correctly, so my assumption (a poor one at that) is that there might be a spark issue? Who knows, time to start researching and trouble shooting.

If anyone has any M20 noob trouble shooting suggestions, please post away. Or come to Appleton and help, food and beer will be provided!

aS9U1fr.jpg

Fuel feed and return are routed like that only for potential starting purposes, so ignore that. Also the new booster hose needs to be trimmed.

On 8/18/2016 at 6:00 AM, Snap said:

The 4 to be cautious of:

The positives that go to the block on the firewall and not mixing any of those up with the ground wire on the strut tower,

I am pretty sure that both of our grounds are correct, but will double check with these.

The idle control valve and TPS are often mixed up. Check that you can hear/feel the idle control valve humming with the ignition on to know if that is correct.

I am pretty sure that Ben checked to make sure that this was happening when we were doing our preliminary troubleshooting, but will also double check.

The crank sensor and cylinder id sensor (inductive pickup from spark plug wire) are often mixed up too. If you didnt mark those then its really trial and error. Id the engine cranks and doesnt start, switch those around

We checked online to see what the order of the plugs were, as well as them being labeled on the wire, but I am going to super double check this one because this currently our issue.

To address Snaps prior post