WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The "I finally bought an E30" Build Thread!

suspenceful

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Nice! It'll be intersting to see what happens with this. If I donate an M50 swap can I drive it at the track? :)

If you try to take the dent out, you'll want to start at the edge of it and work towards the center. Trying to push in the center to "pop" it back out will almost definitley make it worse.

Thanks for the tip. I would love to put an M50 in it if it's free. You can drive it either way!

Just to clarify, we're not "rebuilding" the motor. We're freshening it up with new gaskets, seals, timing belt, water pump, etc. We won't be cracking it open. As far as the interior goes, we're still up in the air about it. I'd love to track the crap out of it and shed some weight. We'll see.

3 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

Thanks for the advice on the door dent. This is definitely something we are going to be discussing with people that have more body work knowledge before we make an attempt to fix it.

We didn't get any pictures of the interior after, but the carpet cleaned up really well (Jake will post some later). We pulled the center console and back seat out to make sure we got everything with the vacuum. I washed all of the center console parts. I was able to clean up the trunk pretty well but this dude must have spilled a whole box worth of nails in it because they were everywhere.

We are in the process of pricing out all the gaskets, seals, fluids, and parts for the engine rebuild. The goal is to pick up a transmission next week and then pull the engine and start the rebuild process. Hopefully start it that weekend?

Let me know what parts you need and I may be able to help with some pricing.

Had a half day at work today. So I headed to Jake's right after so I could continue to remove the rest of the interior. It was a hot and humid one today and the E30's resting place as of now is in the driveway. Luckily, the garage felt like it had air condition in it, so I made trips continuously between the two. Was able to pull the rest of the interior minus the dash, carpet, and seat belts. Pulled the headlights, kidneys, and headlight grills to be cleaned and repainted. Removed the IS trunk lid to be repainted and to make buffing the car easier. Pulled out the tail lights to red out the amber turn signals (these need to be wet sanded and polished). When I pulled out the dead battery I was greeted to a fuckin colony of ants living under this thing. Quickly grabbed the shop vac and vacuumed up as many of them as I could. When Jake got back from work we tried hammering out the dented side because it had been sitting under the sun all day. It looks better than where we started, but its still not very good. We cant be too upset given the condition we got it in, but it does look better. Will probably revisit this later. He also polished the area after to remove some of the paint transfer. I will be attempting to buff and polish the car tomorrow weather permitting.

8EfxjDJ.jpg

DLjMxPS.jpg

IKe0tsY.jpg

2OoGhee.jpg

qs9sgen.jpg

qs9sgen.jpg

kALwyJw.jpg

pEF4fZa.jpg

uBM6SPd.jpg

Dented side

jhIHixI.jpg

Another hot day today. Thankfully, there is some really good shade cover from some big trees on the road in front of Jake's house. Was able to keep the E46 and E30 cool all afternoon. It was probably an easy 20 degree difference being in the shade and being in the sun, would not have worked today had I not been in the shade. Just ran a long extension cord across the road to get power for the rotary wheel. Also just used buckets of water to wash the car on the side of the road as the hose did not reach. I only cut the car today, so the car still has swirl, but the depth was really brought back out. I will be hopefully polishing and waxing it tomorrow to finish up the paint restore. It has cleaned up pretty well. Some areas will need to be revisited, but overall I am happy with the outcome. Buddy from Bergstrom stopped over with some metal polish and helped me with the bumpers and window trim while I finished buffing the car. 

hLVSsNK.jpg

Zz3mNCy.jpg

mRZSzoY.jpg

BRDccd2.jpg

fP5rALH.jpg

yNMMWtO.jpg

SbUyL82.jpg

Hoping after the polish and the wax the car will really shine. 

Finished the paint restore today. Was much cooler out so that made being outside a lot more enjoyable. The paint came back really well and I am happy with the result. The products I used for the restore were Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish, and Liquid Wax. I didn't test it, but the paint should have a really good bead. I'll ask Jake to take some pictures with the DSLR so you guys can get a better idea of how it came out. The iPhone pictures will suffice for the time being.

This is after polishing, before waxing

Bxd5jYm.jpg

Compounded vs. Polished

ZyB5kiZ.jpg

These are all polished and waxed pictures

WhT412q.jpg

hw8lb8V.jpg

DJLLaiI.jpg

WjxSr0G.jpg

KiUIKPT.jpg

4Wc7KYr.jpg

The iPhone pictures don't do the paint justice, but it looks great. Exponentially better. Now we're going to clean up the trim pieces and tidy up some loose ends.

Plan is to pull the motor this weekend, freshen it up, and drop it back in with a new trans. Then we're gonna get the hookup on some cheap used JOM coilovers and eventually get some cheap wheels. The car should end up looking pretty decent.

Also, we tried pounding the dent out a little bit. The "after" picture makes it look better than it really is, but it's improved for sure.

27250776640_28c93369fa_c.jpg

27546537652_cd8b26935c_c.jpg

There was a dude in classic BMWs giving away a g260. Idk if it's been spoken for yet or not

Is this a Facebook page? Was it in good working condition? I'll have to look into it!

Tagged you

(If that doesn't work here's a screenshot)

ac42f806df0836be210ba042a985dcc8.jpg

Maybe it works, maybe not. For free tho why not give it a try (if yours is totally borked)

41 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

Tagged you

(If that doesn't work here's a screenshot)

Maybe it works, maybe not. For free tho why not give it a try (if yours is totally borked)

I saw that and joined the group. I think it's spoken for, but we want one that's pretty much guaranteed to work.

Snap said John Prusinski had one so I reached out to him. He said he has one that should work and is selling it for a good deal, so we'll probably pick that up on Friday.