WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ILC's 1991 318 S50 track rat

i_love_cars

i figured the setup out based on what i currently have combined with gorilla math. 

17x7.5 were on the car, and they were e36 ds1 wheels with 12mm spacers all around. ds1 has 41 offset so this makes an ET29 with 12mm spacer. After using WillTheyFit.com , it showed that I could probably get away with the 17x8.5 et40 from Apex if I continued to use 12mm spacer. Everything fits pretty well but I may drop to a 10mm spacer now for just a hair of extra clearance in the fronts. Not fully sure yet. 

apex arc-8 are all designed with BBK clearance in mind. 

Cool - Mine are 17X9 ET42s with a square 235 setup.

I have them listed a few places and received a lot less interest than I thought they would get.

And about the BBK, yeah I know the ARC-8s will fit my wilwoods, but until they are on the car I don't know what else will so I am hesitant to pick up another set of wheels.

thanks guys. I'm really happy with it so far - drove to Big Bear today to get a snapshot of all the suspension/alignment specs, didn't have time to weigh it, sadly. Soon though. 

I realized there are 20mm spacers on there and the clearances are ok (no rubbing yet after driving around today) but I do have enough room to get a 15mm so I'll be putting those on tomorrow to give myself a guarantee on clearance going over big bumps. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Wow when you dive in, you really dive in!

dude it's soooooo bad driving that E30 on the street. 20% of the bumps that you hit you're goin "fuck did that just bend a control arm??"  I seriously worry about driving the car to/from the track. Truck/trailer is a necessity in my opinion, but the ridiculous part is truck prices these days. That's a $41k truck, and constitutes a "stripped down" model. I said "Give me something that can tow and has a decent sound system for long trips, a crew cab, nothing more and we'll be good". So they did. And it was still wildly more expensive than I would have liked. 

Oh and upon inspection of going to pull the oil pan out, discovered that the driver side motor mount bracket was busted and 2 of 3 engine mount bolts were completely missing. Backed out entirely, and the 3rd and final bolt was backed out 3/4 of the way. Scary stuff. I was very close to have my engine riding on the subframe at BHF. 

49 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

24' ? Should be a nice setup with tandems. Should probably see like 12 mpgs lol. Either way drive it like you stole it

#SHTFCKRACING

yea 24', tandem Dexter axles, 1 month old tires, 48" service door, fold-down ramp extension, electric brake assist, painted floor and 4 floor hooks for a car. 

When I have money again in like 5 years I'm gonna buy this for it: https://jet.com/product/detail/fd71e5dc7f4e4a10be4d4c3e003cc15a?jcmp=pla%3Aggl%3Agen_vehicles_parts_a1%3Avehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_parts_motor_vehicle_towing_a1_other%3Ana%3APLA_348999540_24332410740_pla-156916835100%3Ana%3Ana%3Ana%3A2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_vehicles_parts_a1&ds_cid&ds_ag=vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_parts_motor_vehicle_towing_a1_other&product_id=fd71e5dc7f4e4a10be4d4c3e003cc15a&product_partition_id=156916835100&gclid=CM2OwILut80CFVGAaQodrd8F6A&gclsrc=aw.ds

IIRC each of the mounting arms have four bolts into the block?? If so you still had another left to fall out lol. When I took the engine mount arms off during the swap, 2 of the heads snapped off. They were awfully weak after all the heat cycling/weathering. I bought new ones and blue loctited them in

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:47 PM, i_love_cars said:

dude it's soooooo bad driving that E30 on the street. 20% of the bumps that you hit you're goin "fuck did that just bend a control arm??"  I seriously worry about driving the car to/from the track. Truck/trailer is a necessity in my opinion, but the ridiculous part is truck prices these days. That's a $41k truck, and constitutes a "stripped down" model. I said "Give me something that can tow and has a decent sound system for long trips, a crew cab, nothing more and we'll be good". So they did. And it was still wildly more expensive than I would have liked. 

Oh and upon inspection of going to pull the oil pan out, discovered that the driver side motor mount bracket was busted and 2 of 3 engine mount bolts were completely missing. Backed out entirely, and the 3rd and final bolt was backed out 3/4 of the way. Scary stuff. I was very close to have my engine riding on the subframe at BHF. 

The more prepped the car eventually you reach the point of towing. Not only a comfort issue but the clown car packing routine of all your gear for the track gets old. Plus the potential flat-bedding the car home in case of on track drama. New truck would be really nice to have but $41k is absolutely nuts! 

Between the motor mounts and bolts issues, the engine riding on the subframe would have been the least of your worries. Glad you caught it before bad things happened.  

7 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

The more prepped the car eventually you reach the point of towing. Not only a comfort issue but the clown car packing routine of all your gear for the track gets old. Plus the potential flat-bedding the car home in case of on track drama. New truck would be really nice to have but $41k is absolutely nuts! 

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that about the truck. You could've bought a full blown race car for what you have into the E30, truck, and trailer ($60k?)

I think a $5k truck would've done the job just fine. More money for BMW parts then :)

This truck also doubles as my year-round car in case i need to travel for work or anything, given that I am selling the Subaru. It doubles as an alternate that the wife can drive and cart the kids around in case her car takes a dump.

Think what you want about the truck's price - there's no doubt it isn't cheap, but it's mildly offensive to judge considering you have no idea of what my financial situation is. If you actually had a family of 4 like I do who enjoy coming to track events with me, you may think differently about buying some shitbox, rusted out, 200k mile tiny ass cab truck for $5000. Cuz that's exactly what you're gonna get for $5k. Please find me a truck with decent mileage, not rusted to shit,  has a full 4-door crew cab that can comfortably fit 4 people and amenities for a 2-3 day overnight stay track event, and modern tech like bluetooth audio, anti-sway LSD, brake gain/loss controller, etc. for $5000.

It's easy to point a finger at someone when you have 0 other considerations other than yourself and purely towing a car, in which case $5k on a shitbox truck would indeed be fine.