WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1984 318i Build

SamHolzmann

• 2 months later...

This is my old car.  Nice to see my old car still has life.  Here is my story with it: http://jimroal.com/cars/bmw.htm .  My mother inlaw bought this car used back in 1986.  I think she was the second owner.  She lived in Richland WA at the time which is a dry climate.  They moved to Las Vegas in 1988 and the car stayed in her garage most of the time.  In 2000 she gave it to us and I drove it from Las Vegas to Peoria, IL.  IT had an automatic transmission from the factory and it was very slow.  0-60 time was 12s.  I have a video on that website showing it.  One day I was pulling away from a light and I needed to get in the other lane soon so I floored it to get in front of a diesel pickup.  He blew my door off.  I had had it.  I happened to have a turbo sitting in my garage and I decided this car needed it badly.  I fabricated my own header, modified the L-Jetronic with Mustang fuel injectors and a Thunderbird VAF, and the rest of the mods.  Very little money invested.  Pretty much doubled the power and cut the 0-60 time in half.  The car was now fun.  I hit a deer with it in 2003.  Sheet metal damage, not major.  Sold it to a friend and coworker Dan.  Dan repaired the body damage and drove it for several years.  It blew a head gasket so Dan installed the spare motor I gave him with the car.  He put it back to completely stock.  Dan sold it to another friend and coworker Cort who installed the Megasquirt.  Cort planned to put the turbo system back on too but never did.  He sold the car to another coworker Ethan who installed the 2nd Megasquirt and put the turbo back on.  The exhaust manifold I had made cracked so when Ethan had the car I did some warranty work to repair it.  The car ran great but Ethan wanted more.  He upgraded the manifold and installed a much larger intercooler. Ethan had the car a few years and sold it.  

This is my old car. My mother inlaw bought it used in 1986. She gave it to us in 2000. Here was my story with it: http://jimroal.com/cars/bmw.htm . I sold it to my friend Dan in 2003. Dan sold it to another friend Cort who put the first Megasquirt on it. Cort sold it to Ethan who installed a different Megasquirt and made many other upgrades. Ethan sold it a few years ago. I lost track of it until now. Nice to see you are taking good care of it. 

That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Been a hot minute, but still have the car. Just never made an update.

Car is tuned and is a rocket ship. Because of the manifold design, the waste gate had to moved to turbo housing.

Before waste gate modifications, we saw boost levels of 26+ psi while the car was at the dyno. While the number it produced was impressive, it would have broken everything

With waste gate modifications we have 100%  control and car is making 450 whp at 10-11 psi on pump gas.

One more event this year then who knows what will happen next...... 😎

31288525_10209349487093421_4590006226108022784_n.jpg40325333_319933491896701_6830545327742966557_n.jpg