WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E90 Guys

mkerose

Car is all over the place, steers over small bumps, crashes over bumps really hard, feels like the car is going to explode. Rear end feels very disconnected from the rest of the car.

Specs:

06 Sedan w/factory sport package (bone stock)

126k miles

Hancook v12 tires, new last year.

Alignment seems fine.(i do not have numbers though)

No vibration under braking what so ever(if i can find a smooth road)

I do not want to put all the "M" control arm upgrades into it if i don't have to. I do not really want to change the ride height.

Looking for recommendations on what shock/struts to look into. I do not track the car nor do i wish to. I basically would like to have a performance minded suspension and not have my teeth fillings rattled out of my head at the same time. Its embarrassing for me to have people ride in it. Its just super rough. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comfort is all relevant to the driver.  The E90 sport suspension isn't what I would call "comfortable", it's tolerable and if you are looking for decent handling without harshness then it works.  The Bilsteins are going to be very comparable to those and if you are happy with (or were happy) your sport suspension then you'll be able to live with the bilsteins.  Even the non sport suspension is stiffer than you'd find on a similar model mercedes or cadillac.  A soft ride is just not the 3 series way.  I've heard good things about the koni fsd but do not have personal experience.

My background is 10 years of automotive repair experience specializing in ride control, tires, brakes, etc.  The biggest complaint I may get from a customer is that the new suspension ks "too hard" compared to a worn out suspension.  Keep that in mind as well.