WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Running Thread of the Daily: 325XI

DrLeadFoot

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the Dells this weekend for an indoor 24/7 softball tournament.

The Temps were pretty low outside.

On the way back in go to check the oil and notice it's higher than normal. In my head I'm like "here we go" as I reach over to check the oil cap and of course, a little bit of some baby diarrhea.

Drove it all the way home (Milwaukee) from the dells is no issue. Temp stayed rock solid but I was going easy on her.

I'll take a look at it today maybe it fixed itself.

In the meantime one can dream:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2042741

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

After some research I am replacing the CCV system.  After taking it apart I found out that I have the old style dip stick tube that freezes up and backs up the system in cold weather.  

The pics:

Mouse nest

31953969110_de7c6578b7_b.jpg

32292038286_69c9a76a8d_b.jpg

Old boot.  I have a new one.

32331012005_a613318624_b.jpg

Someone put some silicone ATV stuff on that flapper thingy.

31520300793_9b9c1445fc_b.jpg

Dirty injectors.  New o-rings coming soon

32211180081_389c723cd0_b.jpg.

Nasty.

32331022185_f161f92e7c_b.jpg

32292053886_115c9f8f35_b.jpg

One leaf fell into the cylinder.  Luckily it blew it out with the air gun.

32180919792_db0ee39443_b.jpg

Got some swag from my buddy!

32331040995_2f43693062_b.jpg

32211198701_6750dc99dc_b.jpg

Got everything off and just need to clean it all up and run new vacuum lines.  The vacuum line to the exhaust and to the charcoal canister were both broken and very brittle.  Glad I'm getting into the motor and freshening it up. 

Now time for a beer and some GREEN BAY PACKER FOOTBALL!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

faf88b9e39ec8fe56df87f6dae0415b9.jpg

Click it or ticket

Is there anything else on the list for this car in the future? Have the suspension bushings been replaced before?

9227d2095aba277e3dbc5e609f4442de.jpg

I don't think they have been replaced.

There is an oil pan gasket in its future and probably do a water pump and thermostat soon.

I'm getting the catalyst inefficiency codes still and they popped up regularly for the last couple thousand miles. Headers with no cats and flash the software? Slosh lemon juice through the cats to clean them? Bueller?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Missed an upload.  New o-rings on the injectors.  These were a PITA!  My fingertips were raw afterwards.

32574252226_5b5773ac43_b.jpg

The car has been running great!  There seems to be no oil consumption at all after 200 miles.  Super pumped!

I'm still getting post cat O2 sensor codes on both banks.  I will be doing a water pump and a T-stat soon. Hopefully the t-stat is sticking open and not letting the car get to operating temp.  If not, headers and software to come.  Not what I want to be doing to this car but that engine light is annoying. 

5 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

no, its a 'while you are in there'. the o-rings certainly feel rock hard after 15 years, so putting them back into place seems like a terrible idea considering the cheap cost of new o-rings and how destructive a fuel leak could be.

It's good practice to replace any o-ring that are more than a year or two old if you disturb them, its super cheap insurance against leaks 

5 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Is it common for those injector O-rings to fail?

On e46's it is a common fail.  The symptoms would be smelling gas while not seeing a leak, extended crank time after it's been sitting or brief rough idle at start up.  The O-rings fail because they are old and brittle and they definitely need to be replaced after removing the injectors but it's also a common fail item.

• 4 months later...