WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Running Thread of the Daily: 325XI

DrLeadFoot

Picked this up from a BMW mechanic's wife.  

This picture is after getting new OEM BMW tie rods, boots and an alignment.

Caster on the drivers side is a little off.  No ball joints are physically loose but I'll probably replace them in the spring.

Before the snow was flying the rear brakes were replaced by yours truly.  All OEM BMW parts

I have an oil pan leak but that is about it for mechanical worries.  A rip in the drivers side bolster and two small spots of rust.  I'll take care of the little things as time goes on.

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I wouldn't worry about that caster split.  At a degree you'll have a ride control issue but where it's at now you're fine.  Just make sure your strut isn't bent or where the strut mounts to the body isn't ovaled or splitting. 

I'll take a good look.  It drives like a totally different car with it being aligned! 

if the P0420 was related to poor running then I would expect a misfire or rich codes to be stored also.  If it was my car I would test the coolant temp sensor resistance, replace the upstream O2 since without records it can be assumed it is original, and the downstream sensors as well to ensure that the car isnt lying to you. 

Correct or not, this is just how I would handle the situation.

Or you could back probe the o2 and see if it's functioning.  Even easier would be to hook up a scan tool and watch live data.  You should see it fluctuating rapidly between .1v-1v, if it's stagnant then you either have a bad o2 or your car's not warmed up.  If it is fluctuating then cause a vacuum leak and see if the o2 reacts accordingly to the lean condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The wheel set ups are 18x8 Et47 with 285s up front and 18x8.5 et50 255s in the rear.

The story is Bimmer Bob (?) did an experiment to try and counter act the understeer the e46 chassis by putting big rubber up front. These were modified Evo wheels machined to an e46 set up.

The seller said the car would get squirrely in the rear under hard braking.

I wanted some quality wheels that could work on the m3 down the line.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...