WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hello fellow wibmw owners. This is my first post and sadly it's me needing help, and a lot of it. Unfortunately my head gasket is junk on my 98 bmw 323is 2.5L i6 and it needs to be replaced asap. I havnt looked into a lot of shops because frankly I'm not sure I trust local shops with a bmw. I'd rather do it in someone's garage with someone who's done it before where I can help get the job done. I'd try and tackle it my self but I've never done a head gasket. Anywho reason for my post is I either need a really well know shop who has experience with e36 head gaskets or someone's help on here in doing the job. I don't have much money but will get a loan to get my beloved bimmer back up and functional.

thank you in advance for any replies and help. 

I was at the last wi bimmers meet this year as well had a great cruise with most of you.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ah yes,  I saw you there in the chariot formerly owned by Ryan. 

Where are you located? I personally cant offer any help in-person at the moment but would be glad to help compile parts lists, help answer questions and instill some confidence that its pretty simple and you can do it.  Lots of folks on here have done head gaskets on 24Vs so hopefully someone else will be able to help turn wrenches. Just be sure you are aware of what can happen to the hollow camshafts and how to prevent it ..... 

I could be of assistance pending your location. I have a shop in Appleton where it could be done quickly, less the head being resurfaced.
It's a pretty quick job, though I have only done it in e30's lol. E36 bay isn't too much different though. 
That one is single VANOS right? M52b25
As stated prior, parts list is easy as well. 

He lives near me in Milton.

Take it to Olin's.  They do quality work from what I have heard.  I know their Hunter Engineering rep really well and he only has good things to tell me about them.  That and the number of euro's I constantly see parked outside of their shop tells me they already have that clientele built up and wouldn't be shocked by an e36.

It overheats when it wants to. After a drive or during one it over heats and I shut it off immediately. Upon opening the hood I use a flat head and loosen the bleeder screw on the top of the coolant tank, when I do this sometimes a little air comes out sometimes a lot. I drive it everyday. I decided to take it to the shop notes above (thanks pat) and they're starting the work Monday 1/25/16. It's pricey but id like to be able to drive my car without having any thing to worry about again. Plus I don't have any heat coming out of my vents so it's a hassle driving to work in the morning. Once this problem is resolved I can start saving for the aftermarket parts that I want... Again I thank you all for your responses  

I bled the cooling system after doing thermostat and it still gets more air in the system obviously leaking somewhere (most likely the HG) yes it has coolant in it and it's not low. Every so often I check it when I'm letting air out of the tank. Heater core could be clogged but that doesn't explain to me why I keep getting air in the system. The shop I took it to will diagnos it first before tearing it apart.

Air being trapped by the water pump causes no flow and no heat. Air being pushed in from a combustion chamber to cooling system leak would cause this. Do you have rough could startups? You should start with a hydrocarbon test of the coolant. This will tell you if combustion gasses are entering the coolant.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...