WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

On 8/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, HipMF said:

It's a small contract manufacturer for electronics called pro-active engineering. We are already subbing out some work to some of our customers who we do manufacturing for. I also learned recently that we've subbed design work out overseas as well.

I would be starting at an entry level position. The other position they need to fill is the "manager" position. It probably sounds ridiculously cocky, but I'm fairly sure that I'll be running the department in a couple years. I've seen what goes on over there, and the bar has been set pretty low... 

Had to resurrect this post for my own sake. "Oh, the naivete!"

I've learned way more than I ever wanted to about engineering in these past two and a half years. Thankfully, due to my lack of the necessary credentials, my title never rose above technician. Could I run circles around the previous, or current manager? Easily. Do I want to be exposed to any of the liability for the crap work on risky jobs that we've been turning out? Absolutely not. Engineering is 90% risk management and no one in the department has a clue... Yikes. Total shit show. Would not recommend.

23 hours ago, YoungCR said:

And this is why I work for myself, sorry to hear 😕 sounds like it’s time for a road trip 

You have no idea. I've been itching to get out there again since 2019 at least... Stupid pandemic.

Don't want to write checks I can't cash, but given everything that's happened and my improved mental health, 2022 could be the year for me. On the other hand, as Mr. Roger's said "Look for the helpers." I'm definitely in a place that needs my help, so I might stay here and do what I can until they can do without me.

12 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

its gotta be at least 50% design/ 50% dont kill anyone 

Not killing people or setting things on fire are the big ones, but there's  also "Not loosing an ass-load of money". We've had several "forever jobs" where the scope or acceptance criteria is so ill-defined that we can never seem to get them to completion. I've also seen some heinously bad contracts; something like "If the customer can't find funding then they don't have to pay".

We have an awesome administrator lady who has finally had enough and is lighting some fires under people's asses, so things are improving, but I don't know how long it will last.