WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

Pretty sure e21s don't have an unloader relay, so that's easy.

Also considering getting a label printer for doing wire labels.

new_lead.jpg

I have wire number labels, but I don't think they'll hold up well enough. I've heard clear shrink tube is a thing and works well for protecting labels...

On 5/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, HipMF said:

Picked up a dozen tamales and some pastor meat for tacos at Abarrotes El Primo in Sun Prairie before heading up to the shop this morning. May have reached a new high water mark as far as shop cuisine is concerned.

(Picture of delicious looking taco)

Of course this would happen on a weekend I'm gone!

On 5/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, HipMF said:

Picked up a dozen tamales and some pastor meat for tacos at Abarrotes El Primo in Sun Prairie before heading up to the shop this morning. May have reached a new high water mark as far as shop cuisine is concerned.

kqDLHmu.jpg

Do you have a recipe for this creation? It looks restaurant quality.

7 minutes ago, SteelBlue said:

Do you have a recipe for this creation? It looks restaurant quality.

Thanks. The meat from El Primo is pre-marinated. All I did was fry it in a hot cast iron pan on a camp stove.

I have made my own meat using the recipe from Serious Eats, but that one is braised in the oven. You could probably use the same marinade and just fry the meat instead of braising it. Al pastor is traditionally made on a vertical spit like gyro meat, so it's not really something you can do at home.

I'm just now finally getting the hang of heating tortillas properly...

29 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Thanks. The meat from El Primo is pre-marinated. All I did was fry it in a hot cast iron pan on a camp stove.

I have made my own meat using the recipe from Serious Eats, but that one is braised in the oven. You could probably use the same marinade and just fry the meat instead of braising it. Al pastor is traditionally made on a vertical spit like gyro meat, so it's not really something you can do at home.

I'm just now finally getting the hang of heating tortillas properly...

I need a cast iron pan. Tortillas are a major part of the taco experience.

I have one piece of 2" in my charge piping. Unfortunately it's too small to fit over the die of the bead roller, so I had to improvise. Worked pretty well.

lmb1Ant.jpg

Also spent way too long working on a bracket for the wastegate actuator now that the turbo is re-clocked.

9XyCi4d.jpg

JxlQrm3.jpg

Also got the driveshaft installed and some other small things. Basically anything to avoid working on wiring at this point.

8 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Internal gate huh. what turbski is that you are running?

TD04HL-15G from a Volvo 850 R

06z6HM5.png

From the beginning, my goal has been to get the car down to 10 pounds of mass per horsepower. The car will probably only be used for autox and cruising, so I'm more concerned with throttle response and spool time than I am with trying to impress people with big horsepower numbers. I'm planning on a finished weight around 2300 or 2400 pounds. This turbo makes around 235hp on a stock 2.3l Volvo motor at low boost pressure, so I feel like it's a good choice for this application. As seen above, peak efficiency of the compressor is around 4500-5000 rpm on the 1.8l; not good for a race car, but if we're being realistic, that's a good place for it to be given the way I plan on driving the car.

Interesting tidbits: Since the Volvo engine is almost 30% larger, I'll have to run a higher boost pressure to get the same number of horsepowers. Looking at the compressor map above, we can easily see that generating the same flow rate (hp) at a higher boost pressure puts us in a much better place on the map than we would be with the 2.3l at high rpm. On top of that, higher boost pressure naturally means higher back-pressure in the exhaust. Exhaust back-pressure is always a Bad Thing (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). However, if we're stuck with a particular exhaust restriction, then increasing the pressure differential across it will increase the flow rate through it. TL;DR: The same turbo will generally be capable of making more power on a smaller engine than it would be on a larger engine.

Amen with backpressure, after the primaries and collector, nothing else matters. There is so much obnoxious misinformation in the car realm.

I like your plan using a stock turbo from a larger engine. Stock turbos are normally not top end monsters and on a smaller engine it shifts the useful flow and power to a higher rpm and you end up with a desirable powerband that doesnt fall on its face as much

Very reliable and cheap turbos. Should be a great choice on there. I’ve used quite a few of them over the years. There are several different turbine housing available. The one you have flows decently well. You can also easily upgrade the compressor to a larger wheel if you end up wanting a bit more. I ran a 20t (upgraded 16t, and a 16t is near identical to the 15g used on the 850 turbo). They continue making power into ~25psi and can run that pressure all day. I ran mine at 27psi for quite a while without any problems after swapping the wastegate actuator out for one from a T3 (looks like you’re already addressing the insufficiency of the original actuator).

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, retoropak said:

How are the clearneces with the slanted m42? Is there enough room to fit gt30 sized turbski and 3" downpipe? 

I want to get rid of my m10t and get 8 extra valves. 

It's tight. Bigger turbo and 3" downpipe would probably be do-able, but there's not much room between the engine and strut tower/fenderwell. There are a few places where I've only got about 3/8" of clearance.

CtqpPdhn8saO6xW-7z1HMteO5DbzaTqZAjqrRXMo

vUGCztNZrEK8SIbyRFLpjnunTO1aEiw0TIsRW_te