WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

51 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I know of an MS3x setup that you could obtain for a very reasonable cost, with untouched wiring looms for it. 

I know of one of these as well with built internals for a really good price. Friend of mine is just too lazy to list it.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

Why is there a V8 badge on the front of the 1JZ?

00F0F_2917cFGfajM_600x450.jpg

You cant see the rest of it because the radiator hose is blocking it. it reads like this:  "I can beat your V8"

54 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

with built internals

Can't tell if joke or...

16 minutes ago, HipMF said:

I haven't ruled out MS, but people around this forum don't seem to have had much luck with it...

I never had issues with MS, it was always stuff wrong with mechanical things or my setup (ground wire locations lol)
I haven't heard bad things about haltech, or good things, or really much at all. I do know that it exists though!

On 10/30/2018 at 2:39 PM, GunMetalGrey said:

Can't tell if joke or...  

I never had issues with MS, it was always stuff wrong with mechanical things or my setup (ground wire locations lol)
I haven't heard bad things about haltech, or good things, or really much at all. I do know that it exists though!

Not a joke, It has forged rods and pistons from my knowledge. 

I have no experience messing with MS but I know a lot of people know how to use it because its really simple. I have used Haltech and it is fairly easy too,  the database for diagrams online is extremely helpful.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:43 PM, Jdesign said:
On 10/30/2018 at 12:49 PM, GunMetalGrey said:

I know of an MS3x setup that you could obtain for a very reasonable cost, with untouched wiring looms for it. 

I know of one of these as well with built internals for a really good price. Friend of mine is just too lazy to list it.

This is what I read lol. 

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

I have no experience messing with MS but I know a lot of people know how to use it because its really simple. I have used Haltech and it is fairly easy too,  the database for diagrams online is extremely helpful.

Thanks for the feedback.

Another one I've come across is the ECUMaster EMU Black. There's a lot of stuff integrated into it (wideband controller, knock detection, thermocouple inputs), the software looks really nice, and it's like half the price of most of the other solutions I've looked at. Have to wonder where they're cutting corners to be able to offer it that cheap though...

15 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Another one I've come across is the ECUMaster EMU Black. There's a lot of stuff integrated into it (wideband controller, knock detection, thermocouple inputs), the software looks really nice, and it's like half the price of most of the other solutions I've looked at. Have to wonder where they're cutting corners to be able to offer it that cheap though...

I bought a ECUMaster EMU Black for my 1JZ E30. I have yet to install it though. I am waiting to thin the herd before shift my focus back to that car. :)

Well, hello there.

DSC_3574.JPG

Not much do report. Did some moch-ups, tore down the old engine, and eye'd up the driveline. I want to take a 2nd look at it, but it looks like everything is pretty straight right now, so I may not be able to lift the engine up like I wanted to.

I also didn't really want to do a top-mount, but it looks like the only place that makes sense in terms of packaging. Starting to have feelings of inadequacy related to the size of my turbo...

31 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Awesome!! Are you using an off-the-shelf manifold or custom? 

I'm assuming it will have to be custom, but I need to look into what others have done. I've heard you can take an M5x manifold and lop two cylinders off, but I'd still have to change the flange to run the Mitsubishi turbo.

40 minutes ago, HipMF said:

I'm assuming it will have to be custom, but I need to look into what others have done. I've heard you can take an M5x manifold and lop two cylinders off, but I'd still have to change the flange to run the Mitsubishi turbo.

Oh ok, I was thinking you had the turbo on a manifold already! I think jakeb/classic daily makes an m42 e21 turbo manifold with his turbo kits, not sure if he still sells them (or sells them separately) https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=259174

10 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I think jakeb/classic daily makes an m42 e21 turbo manifold with his turbo kits, not sure if he still sells them (or sells them separately) https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=259174

This could be an option, but I like to fab stuff, so I'll probably make my own.  Also gives me the flexibility to mount the turbo where I want it (currently undecided).

Craptastic header mock-up v0.2 complete

IMG_20181111_121855906.jpg

The PVC didn't work out as well as I thought it would. I couldn't get it to bend tight enough without kinking, or get a consistent radius bends. Regardless, I was able to figure out how to route things. There's not a lot of room on that side of the engine, but I was at least able to verify that I will be able to build something that will fit in the chassis.

Still need to get flanges made, but I'm hoping to be able to start round 1 of header fab next weekend.

Started out the weekend by trying to impulse-buy a band saw, but couldn't find anything locally that didn't look like more trouble than it would be worth. So, we're back to doing things the Mike way (aka the hardest way possible).

I picked up a bunch of 2.5" radius U-bends, so first order of business was to come up with a way to cut them straight and square so that they mate together nicely. Not having gaps where the tubes butt together should make it a lot easier to weld. I decided a jig that the tube could sit in with a slot to hold the sawsall blade straight would probably work.

FLIJ0sRc43pbwT1uTc1OeNWesv_X9wQYF6toPT80

XwEg262L9PAd5i3uNRNWvPsDdmfSaC7BbxDZuDjD

I've only tried it once so far, but it seems to work really well. Better than expected actually.

The next hurdle was to figure out how to oval the end of the tubes so that they can mate up nicely to the exhaust ports on the head. I had researched this one a while back, and the best solution I found was to create a die that's the same shape as the port, and then hammer the tube down onto the die.

pvXgqHlnr3t4ESEHeJjdidGvigHC05s8I0odyIcB

SFv4MEEUlAb8pkexEh1a8LWAYRI1uEuZ4DWmCjT-

FPEerr1ZjLmjr7FvocdXCRxnPmbY1OminaMOUH5R

Decent!

The last area that I'm concerned about is the collector. The tubes need two long tapered cuts at 90 degrees to each other. I had basically given up on figuring out how to do it with the tools I have and was going buy a stationary belt/disc sander to mount a jig to, but at the last minute I came up with a different plan.

C0mMqQdnMC-4QD5T7aJBGDXbnv_WT7xRJA383ov9

BDr25h4w7kkDW7U8m0Xs84XusphMPBbyDXJ7xQQn

Ben is very concerned for my safety, and I'm willing to admit that this probably isn't one of my best ideas. I gave it a go with some PVC, and it seems to work well enough. The cuts aren't super straight, and will need some hand-finishing. I was also eye-balling the 90 degree turn for the second cut, so it didn't turn out perfect, but if I can figure out a better way to do that it should be good enough to get by.

XUOGvianw7aCJVlDGnsrnWhDK11Fsar4FUWlhZbp

xU9aD1YzjpVPMdJjGEDiLqehIaym0DVDxmz4DReG

I still haven't gotten flanges made, so I couldn't really start building anything yet, but I'd say it's going pretty well so far.