WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

I'm glad to see you made the new bed for the router, I recall talk of that while it was at the shop. I'm also stoked that you've got potential to end up in the engineering dept, as you've certainly got the knowledge and thought process for it! 

Your thread title made me a bit sad this morning, I miss hanging out at the shop and "working" (drinking beer, blowing shit up, and setting things on fire counts right?) On things over the weekend.

Plot twist: We "bought out" a small engineering firm, and now have a new engineering manager and 3 new engineers. This probably sounds like it would hurt my chances of getting a job, but I'm not too worried. I think I've gotten my message across to my boss and HR, and they'll be helping me get over there.

Half of my machine programming responsibilities I've already off-loaded onto a guy we hired a couple months ago. We're also hiring another guy that wants to take over the the rest of the machine programming and maintenance that I'm currently doing. After that the only thing left on my plate (asside from keeping tabs on those two guy to make sure they're not blowing things up or starting them on fire), will be building fixtures, so I'll have plenty of time on my hands to take on some more interesting things.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally pulled the car out and replaced the wastegate controller. The new "7psi" wastegate was still hitting boost cut at 10psi. In hindsight, this isn't hard to believe, because the the size of the wastegate and lever ratio of the actuator affects the end result, and the controller isn't specific to my application.

Looking at the logs, it looked like the wastegate was trying to open around 10 psi, so I bumped up the fuel and raised the boost cut to .8 bar (11.76psi). No more boost cut. Did a bunch of ripping around and it seems to be holding it just fine.

When I chose the injectors, I wanted to prevent myself from turning up the boost beyond ~250hp. Currently hitting 85% duty cycle at redline, so it looks like I did a good job there, although I'm still running extra safe AFRs (11.5:1 at peak boost) and guesswork timing, so I'm probably nowhere near that target. Even so the car is significantly faster than it ever has been and is quite amusing.

2nd gear pull:

qUTEqzk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went up to storage to grab some stuff I needed/put snows on the compact/winterize the e21. I've been wondering for a while how the e21 would look on 13s now that the suspension and flares are "done". I find it quite novel. I could see going back to them if I even manage to keep the car running long enough to wear out the RS4s.

UNY3WMj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shop life is tking a different turn this year...

I bought this thing off ebay back in the early 2000s to replace my 1980s Magnavox CD player. The backlight was burnt out, so I got a killer deal on it. I think I payed something like 20-30 dollars for it + shipping.  I wasn't expecting much of a difference, because digital is digital. A CD player is a CD player right? Wrong. This thing made way more of a difference than any other component I've ever added to my audio system.

Fast forward to now. The loading mechanism on this thing crapped out about 5 years ago and I've been getting by just fine without it. The NAD has been relegated to collecting dust in my storage unit.

Recently I've been working on building an audio amp to get myself back in the swing of things since my career trajectory has me pointed towards electrical engineering. I haven't finished that project yet, but when I do get it it done I want to make sure I have a good source to drive it from to make sure it sounds good. So...naturally, I've dug the NAD out of storage. Turns out it just needs some cleaning and a fresh coat of grease and possibly a new belt to fix the loading mechanism. However...

What I wasn't expecting, again, somehow, Is just how damn good this thing sounds. I hate to start spouting adjectives, because as an engineering-minded person I feel like the audiophile world is full of subjectivism and pseudoscience, but damn. Compared to playing CDs on a PS3, this thing is next level, despite being 25 years old.

The separation between the different voices and instruments is the biggest difference to me. Everything seems to be presented in front of a inky curtain of blackness. I attribute this to a lack of noise and low distortion, but currently, I don't have the tools to measure this. Another thing I'm working on...

JlXQ0hI.jpg

52 minutes ago, HipMF said:

What I wasn't expecting, again, somehow, Is just how damn good this thing sounds. I hate to start spouting adjectives, because as an engineering-minded person I feel like the audiophile world is full of subjectivism and pseudoscience, but damn. Compared to playing CDs on a PS3, this thing is next level, despite being 25 years old.

I didn’t think vintage CD players would be a thing when I donated my ‘90s Sony ES years ago. I could see how analogue audio output would change things. Granted CD quality is also higher bit rate than any streaming service these days.

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I didn’t think vintage CD players would be a thing when I donated my ‘90s Sony ES years ago. I could see how analogue audio output would change things. Granted CD quality is also higher bit rate than any streaming service these days.

I don't think vintage CD players will ever really be a thing given that CD is still the mainstream physical medium for music distribution. Besides that they're all made of plastic which has a tendency to get brittle as it ages, so they're difficult to keep running after 20 or 30 years.

Analog output is required in my case because my amp doesn't have digital in. Digital interconnects are nice, but the signal degradation that happens on a 3ft interconnect cable is pretty negligible.

Unless the NAD starts behaving nicely, I'll probably be getting a new CD player.

• 6 months later...

Went on adventure today. Took a bus up to Appleton to collect the car. I didn't really have a plan B if anything went wrong with the car, other than calling a tow truck. Battery was flat when I got there. Luckily Sam was at the shop and gave me a jump. Good news is I got the car back to Sun Prairie without it blowing up or falling apart. Bad news is I think the bus driver had the 'rona, so I'll be self-isolating for a few days... no bueno.

HlCrz0O.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the I'll be using this my daily for a minute until I find a replacement for the compact. Took it out for some tuning runs today to make sure everything is copacetic. Found a couple issues that I got corrected, but nothing too serious.

TODO list:

Catch can/resurc for crankcase ventilation: I smell like a quik-e-lube after driving 20 miles

Do something about scraping: The way I built the bash bar/oil pan protector is terrible and scrapes way too often. Entering steep driveways at 45 degrees with stiff suspension results in one rear tire just about going airborne and no traction. Not ideal.

Tune closed loop idle control: Did some work on this and it's getting better, but still oscillates/stalls when coming to a stop. Software accepts values from 1-3000 for PID parameters, but I have no idea what values are sane here.

Put summer tires on: Boost pressure and engine RPM have a strong correlation regardless of vehicle speed. Need to procure a low-profile jack.

Grind welds/fill/paint rear flares: Underground parking is humid AF, need to do this before the rust sets in.

Find wiring gremlin: Engine sometimes continues to run after key is turned off. I have a couple ideas where to look for this one, but it could be anywhere...

All of the other things: There are many.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, HipMF said:

Find wiring gremlin: Engine sometimes continues to run after key is turned off. I have a couple ideas where to look for this one, but it could be anywhere...

Make sure your headlights are off 😄
I'll never forget when that started happening on my swapped E30 

Glad to hear it's going smoothly! 

Gettin' those groceries.

eKcvsRA.jpg

Now that I've got real tires on I'm no longer breaking traction every time I hit boost, which makes for a slightly less nerve-wracking commute. I'm also learning when and how much to lift when I hear the turbo spooling so that I'm not rocketing off like a boy-racer every time I leave an intersection. I was initially concerned this thing would be undrivable at autocross, but I think it will be fine once I get used to the power delivery from the turbo and adjust my throttle control accordingly. Fun times.

• 10 months later...

Tossed the battery back in this. Fired up and idled like I'd just driven it yesterday, even though it's been sitting in underground parking since October. Then, as one does, I decided to take it out for a beat run around the neighborhood on old gas and expired plates.

Someday I will learn to act right and behave like an adult. Today was not that day.

Other than that, no progress. Maybe bumping this thread will help get me motivated to do something with this. Unfortunately, there are other things higher on my priority list at the moment. Notably, fixing the compact and possibly moving, but in the meantime my work-life is about to become an unholy shitstorm as our 6-person engineering team has a half-million dollar project that the customer thinks should be done in two months. Goddam first-world problems.

• 8 months later...

Not saying I'm going to work on my car this winter, but if I did, I would try to get the crankcase ventilation figured out. 

PC090015_edited.jpeg

Currently, it's still languishing down in my underground parking stall. There are some mold issues developing, but otherwise it seems to be doing okay down there. I had to move it a couple times for various reasons over the summer, but haven't actually driven it anywhere since April. It still functions, but it's a hot mess otherwise. It would be nice to start getting some of the issues sorted well enough that I could actually put it to use...

Funny that basement is the same design as what my parents lived in last in Waunakee and had mold issues too. It’s really hard to find the motivation when you don’t have a useable garage space for your project either. We both know the pain commuting to shop spaces was too. Glad to see this as an update though! Can’t wait to see this car back in action as well.