WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Shop Life 2.0

HipMF

4 hours ago, retoropak said:

I think ill have to vert mount the m42.

I thought about doing that, but you'll probably have do something with the oil pan as it will sit lower on the driver's side which puts it even lower (already the lowest point on the car). Also means the pickup isn't the lowest point in the pan, which isn't ideal. I'd probably fabricate a custom lower oil pan if I went that route, depending on how far you plan to rotate it.

• 3 weeks later...

No burnout vids, but this car did run yesterday. Haven't really had the time or the headspace to put together any decent posts.

Took a while to get the trigger settings figured out, and I had two wires swapped on 3 out of 4 coils. After fixing that it fired up without much trouble.

It's strange to think about, but aside from not being tuned and some janky vacuum plumbing, it's pretty much a functional car at this point.

Hopefully the clutch works....

The car made it's first boosty noises this weekend. The s.w.a.g. method that I used to build the timing and fuel tables worked well and the car seems to be running great. However, I'm getting some stray voltage on the chassis start/run bus which is causing the engine to continue running after the key is turned off. Also have a small oil leak that I haven't located yet, but appears to be coming from the lower engine area. 😑

I haven't driven it much yet other than some test runs up and down the dead-end road in front of the shop, but it's been quite amusing so far.

BD3XOgcp2-J27KLpt1oZuSm1RREnHVhUXg8EHnjP

Everything looks beautifully packaged!

I cant say I have ever seen an intercooler downstream of the radiator. 

Have you thought about a vent in the hood above the air gap and an an air scoop/shroud directing air between the units from underneath?

I guess it depends on the IAT, I usually saw about 25F-30F over ambient in the summer

2 hours ago, B C said:

Everything looks beautifully packaged!

I cant say I have ever seen an intercooler downstream of the radiator. 

Have you thought about a vent in the hood above the air gap and an an air scoop/shroud directing air between the units from underneath?

I guess it depends on the IAT, I usually saw about 25F-30F over ambient in the summer

Thanks.

The intercooler is mostly below the radiator. The plan is to extend the front valance down and build some ducting to bring fresh air from the front of the car, under the radiator.

Here's a pic from a couple pages back:

1kU_AGGdL4y0n4ByrOuTm3ukqRe345OkFvndoYqa

Oil leak turned out to be a missing o-ring on the cam position sensor, so that was an easy fix.

Went out to do some tuning and the O2 controller promptly shat itself. Reading full lean 100% of the time. The status LEDs indicates that it's stuck in warm up mode. Tried a different sensor but got the same results. Sensor does not heat up; I'm assuming the controller (AEM Yu-Gi-Oh) is DOA. Would take it apart to troubleshoot, but the case is heat-staked together. Maybe it's because my background is in electronics manufacturing, but I'm always surprised by how shitty the quality/yield is on aftermarket automotive stuff. 😕

Since I couldn't really do any driving/tuning without a wideband, I pulled the engine harness again to fix some stuff I boogered together at the 11th hour. Also re-torqued the head studs. Glad I did, because I was able to get ~1/16th turn on most of them.

After missing the picnic, my next goal was to be able to get the car to Iola (next weekend) to show the guys I hang out with up there. Still plausible I guess, but not the position I was hoping to be in as far as drivability goes...

43 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Iola is a cool show! I'd like to get back there some year. 

Feel free to stop by. I'm usually there mid-day Thursday through early Saturday. I spend most of my time at their swap spot, napping/sobering up/day drinking, just SE of the tower. Occasionally I actually walk some swap...

ZCdX8gil.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently between shop spaces, so nothing relevant to report. Taking advantage of the extra free time to focus on other things... like "authentic" Mexican cooking.

Picked up a copy of "The Cuisines of Mexico" by Diana Kennedy who lived in Mexico off-and-on and was considered an authority on Mexican food back in the 70s. I feel like my Mexican game was already pretty strong, but I'm starting over with the basics. I made frijoles de olla (beans cooked in a pot) yesterday so that I'd have leftovers to make frijoles refritos (refried beans) today. Both turned out well.

EkRKR1P.jpg

O1vaKC4.jpg

Also:

Last week at work two people got fired from our engineering department (literally half the department). I have a meeting set up Thursday to discuss possibly leaving manufacturing and joining the engineering team. 👍

19 hours ago, HipMF said:

Last week at work two people got fired from our engineering department (literally half the department). I have a meeting set up Thursday to discuss possibly leaving manufacturing and joining the engineering team. 👍

Out of curiosity, where do you work?  The place I work actually offers engineering/design work to help companies that are overloaded or suddenly find themselves without workers.  Assuming you get the position, it still sounds like they may be short handed.  Good luck, sounds like a cool move upwards.

1 hour ago, REKIII said:

Out of curiosity, where do you work?  The place I work actually offers engineering/design work to help companies that are overloaded or suddenly find themselves without workers.  Assuming you get the position, it still sounds like they may be short handed.  Good luck, sounds like a cool move upwards.

It's a small contract manufacturer for electronics called pro-active engineering. We are already subbing out some work to some of our customers who we do manufacturing for. I also learned recently that we've subbed design work out overseas as well.

I would be starting at an entry level position. The other position they need to fill is the "manager" position. It probably sounds ridiculously cocky, but I'm fairly sure that I'll be running the department in a couple years. I've seen what goes on over there, and the bar has been set pretty low... 

2 hours ago, REKIII said:

Sounds pretty cool.  And confident is not cocky.  If you think the powers that be might have any interest in working with us, have them email at bob@c2s.com.  It may not be a good fit, but could be good.

Where do you work? We do the same thing and are literally 3 blocks from Pro-active. 

And I agree, confident is not cocky. 

Pro-Active is in Sun Prairie. Oddly, Jason and I rarely seem to cross paths despite working blocks apart, although he did spot me pulling into Woodmans recently.

We're an electronics company, but our management likes to toss us curve balls on a regular basis. Most of the mechanical stuff that I've done are things that are used in-house, particularly test fixtures for circuit boards. I call these things "prototypes" because they're all one-offs, and built on a tight budget. This is my latest creation:

zpfHcp8.jpg

We charged our customer a mere $8k for this thing, and it was my project from beginning to end. It's a "functional test", which means that as long as the board does what it's supposed to, it's considered good-to-go. The customer supplied some circuit boards and schematics, and I had to figure out the rest.

I do all the design work myself, using out-dated software, since it's what I know and costs nothing:

myYnz3W.jpg

I also machine the parts myself on a CNC router table that I bought off craigslist and sold to the company after I convinced the VP that it was something we needed. The picture shows the new table that I made (old table can be seen at far right; the PO used drywall screws to hold parts down to the table, I came up with a slightly better system).

VG6uFC6.jpg

mpiGf1d.jpg

One of the guys in the engineering department is a "mechanical guy", who thankfully has Solidworks and some ability to use it. The other two that are left are software guys. It's a little sad that I'll have to pass the torch with the mechanical stuff, but being able to get back into electronics hardware is a great opportunity for me, since I feel that's really where my biggest aptitude is. Depending on who/when they hire for the manager position, I may have to take on more manger duties than I'd like to, but as I said before, the bar has been set pretty low, so even though I don't have any managing experience, I'm confident I can do a better job than the out-going manager.