WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

If there is an e30 318is trunk spoiler in said shop this guy will be there with smiles. If no spoiler there will only be dirty looks....:)

It'll be there=)

What company did you go with for the rebuild kit?

I need to rebuild my rear calipers soon.

I will most likely get the Centric parts. If they don't fit I will bite the bullet on the OEM kits.

My buddy Kyle had to work again this weekend so no progress was made on the bay.

I got out to the shop on Sunday.

The calipers, carriers, and knuckles where picked up to get powdercoated.

I also traded a set of Style 5 barrels I had laying around for the battery cables from an e36. This makes moving my battery to the hatch basically plug and play.

CAM00413_zpsixjq1kwa.jpg

I started off by removing my hood latches so that I can clean them up and paint them.

My friend John then told me to get back to work on the trunk setup. I got the base for the compressors and manifold cut. This fits right inside of the tool compartment under the floor.

CAM00415_zpsdrjljg47.jpg
CAM00416_zpslxmwfow7.jpg

I will be mounting the compressors and manifold once I decide what orientation I should put them. After that I will cover the board in fabric to finish it off. You won't see it once I make the false floor, but I still want it to be aesthetically pleasing.

I was hoping to work on the motor but realized that I need the cam locking tool still. I will be borrowing one next weekend. That will let me get the timing chain back on and then I can button up the timing covers and get the valve cover on as well.

This week my rotors should be showing up too=) I got my taxes done on Saturday so I will have a good chunk of money to splurge on more parts

It is being tucked under the kick panel of my dash. The top left bolt is a huge pain to get at. The headlight harness also needs to be extended about a foot. The other issue is figuring out how to route your engine harness so that it can attach to the connector from the fusebox.

The lid needs to be removed to get it to move. It has four screws around it. You have to tug up hard to get it up. After that you need to remove the lower portion of the box. It has a plastic piece that needs to be removed to allow it to separate from the wiring. It is pretty easy to get moved once you get the lid off.

My Adams Rotors showed up Friday.

CAM00429_zpscqzc0n52.jpg

CAM00441_zpsireshxao.jpg

There was a miscommunication between Adam and I on the front rotors. Compacts end up having the option for either solid or vented fronts. My car ended up having the vented option, but Adam assumed it had the solid option. No biggie whatsoever. He was very happy to sort this out with me and it luckily happened at a time where they aren't needed ASAP anyways.

CAM00430_zpskcgrfyww.jpg

My buddy Greaser Kyle did more work in the bay.

We want it to be mostly symmetrical when it is done. There was an odd bump on the drivers side frame rail where a mount used to sit. It was ground off and patched.

CAM00438_zpsxmsd3okb.jpg

CAM00439_zpsbr6nkoqo.jpg

CAM00442_zpssarydbwr.jpg

He also patched an indent in the drivers side tower but I forgot to take an after picture=/

CAM00436_zpsfmdh0ftg.jpg

He ended up finishing the patch on the inside of the passenger side tower as well to rid of the tear drop shaped indent. (I forgot to picture this as well)

CAM00434_zpspnkxl4gu.jpg

While this was going on, my friends and I procured the cam lock tool and made an attempt to get the timing chain on and then engine timed. I think we got it but I am too afraid to turn it over. lol

CAM00435_zpszpfrqbtp.jpg

CAM00437_zps4gbmi81p.jpg

I was going to install the M44 tensioner (upgrade over the M42 tensioner) but I didn't seem to order a new seal and cover to install it=/

Other than that I have been thinking about sideskirts lately and how I don't think the ///M skirts will be good enough. I have been told e46 skirts are the same length but cannot find any good pictures of e36's running stock e46 skirts. I will be looking into my options.

I also took this picture while I was walking around #rippinshelfies

IMG_20140208_155340_zpsj3rd3ff0.jpg

Even if the motor is slightly out of time, you won't hit any valves/pistons together. So turn it over at free will(if it's tensioned)!!! And if it hits anything, stop and do it again :) I would advise to do so before you actually put it in/together.

Thanks for the heads up. Should I install the tensioner with the old plug and washer for now just to check this out?

Adams Rotors?  They look like Earls Rotors to me!  see what I did there?

I see what you did there=)