WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My name is Earl, and I have a Stainless Steel bolt fetish =)

Earl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Must be the weather.

I had to move my car because they were power washing the underground parking area. First time it's moved in many months. Much feels. Should really get that thing sorted so I could actually start using/enjoying it. It's a pretty neat car.

12 hours ago, HipMF said:

I had to move my car because they were power washing the underground parking area. First time it's moved in many months. Much feels. Should really get that thing sorted so I could actually start using/enjoying it. It's a pretty neat car.

I know it goes against your core beliefs, but finding someone to dyno tune it is a really good thing in life. Then it runs / drives with a higher level of reliability and you can tweak from there knowing your starting point is strong. 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

I know it goes against your core beliefs, but finding someone to dyno tune it is a really good thing in life. Then it runs / drives with a higher level of reliability and you can tweak from there knowing your starting point is strong. 

I have considered that. Last time I took it for a long drive (highway miles) in hot weather, it was on the verge of overheating. Not sure if that means the 318is radiator is inadequate, or if it's tune related. Regardless, at a minimum I would need to get the PCV situation figured out before I would feel like I could put it on a dyno without it being an embarrassment. 

But yeah, there's also that issue of trusting other people enough to let them touch my stuff and violating my DIY ethic... Besides that, there are high-level artistic reasons for letting it stall. The progress on the car is meant to parallel my progress in life, but the car has gotten a bit ahead of me. There's work I need to do in other areas before I can really focus on the car again.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:17 AM, KaiserRolls said:

Dyno tunes have their place for sure. Street tuning and dialing in drivability is awesome though 

I`ve spent a fair amount of time and brake pads getting the fuel dialed. I suspect the heat issue is due to inadequate timing, but you really need a dyno to tune the timing at lower loads. Also (aside from the PCV...) need to get a weaker wastegate spring and wire/plumb some boost control, but this thread is supposed to be about why Earl hasn't touched his project, not about mine...

#vintage2023

• 2 months later...