WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Rusty Slammington has returned

Earl

Some of you may or may not know who Rusty Slammington is. He is basically an e28 that has seen many different stages. Mike Burroughs (creator of Stanceworks) is the owner. Rusty was once a very clean e28 that met his demise with a semi due to one of Mikes friends. 

kopI7.jpg

3117133978_2195abf47f.jpg

Mike took that opportunity to do his own spin on the e28 without feeling bad about molesting a pristine example. The car evolved from there. 

NOqbt.jpg

3517969762_d1ebb15158_o.jpg

k9uf6x.jpg

Screen+shot+2011-08-12+at+7.43.13+PM.png

18n7v1e06ovewjpg.jpg

MG_5601-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg

Unfortunately in April 2011 Mikes garage started on fire and not only ruined many sets of rare wheels, but took Rusty as well. Over the past few years Mike hadn't said much on what to expect from him on bringing Rusty back. However, he now debuted Rustys new form at SEMA this year. 

A lot of people have hated this car from the start but for some reason I have always liked Rusty and how he had evolved. I am much more impressed with his rebirth than I would have thought. 

Cue Rusty now

DSC_1940.jpg

DSC_1971.jpg

Here is the article on Stanceworks that lays out Rustys new form: http://www.stanceworks.com/2015/11/the-return-the-rusty-slammington-reveal-at-sema/

Nice topic.

I think the car looks great, and it's a good story. My nag is that I feel like cars like this are built more for looks than anything else. Does he plan to track the car? Was it built to be competative in a particular class? I feel like when modifying a car, everyone has different priotities. Some people care more about looks, and some people care more about performance. Almost everyone cares about both to some extent. I think building any car is much more of an artistic endevor than people give it credit for. Even people who modify there car in strictly logical and functional ways are expressing their ideas and values by doing so.

I just hate to see all those expensive racing bits sitting around being gawked at like pieces of sculpture, rather than being put to use doing what they were designed to do in the first place. It just seens vain to spend so much time sitting around, staring at your car. Not that i don't do it too...

I've been following this car for years and every time it's changed it becomes my new favorite.  This car hasn't just been an expression of art it's been a tool for him to learn new "old" skills like chopping, channeling, metal forming by hand, etc.  These are all technique you don't see on modern builds that he has sought out strictly for his own knowledge.  The previous seats were hand made and gorgeous.

4947104911_592e249af1_o.png

I admire this guys dedication to the craft and to a project.  From following this car and previous builds I know he drives these cars.  I can't imagine this would be entered in any kind of race series but I wouldn't be surprised to see it out at some track days. 

I like pretty much everything about the newest iteration... Except I'm really struggling with still referring to this as "the same car" he brought back to life.

Since when is reusing part of an old roof-line on a burnt out car make it "the same car"?!?

Its a full tube chassis car you happened to utilize your old roof for. Paint the damn thing 1 color and enjoy it...

• 6 months later...