WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1981 BMW M1 For Sale

B C

Nice!

I don't keep up-to-date on M1 prices, but that seems pretty high. A car that old with such low mileage has obviously spent most of it's life sitting in one place, and is likely behind on maintenance. I'd also imagine that (at least some) M1 spares are hard to come by.

As usual, It's cheaper in the long run to buy a well-maintaned car than to buy a shitbox and try to fix it up. Of course if you're some rich, collector dude you're never going to drive it anyway...

Actually, i feel bad using the word "shitbox" in relation to this car, because it obviously isn't one. I just meant to say that I would prefer to own a high-mileage car that has been well-maintained and shows honest wear for it's age, rather than a car that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom, but in reality is 30 years old and has never had any maintenance done to it.

Yeah, that Haggerty thing is pretty cool.  Like any classic car evaluator, take it with a grain of salt.  However, my general opinion is that they are closer than Keith Martin's value guides.

There's sort of a standing joke between me and one of my car buddies about these.  Every time an M1 gets mentioned I kick into old man mode and say "oh man, I remember when you could buy these for a hundred grand..." and he would either jokingly flame up or just roll his eyes.  Well this "joke" has been going on since some time in the 1990's.  Having said all that, I would question this chart somewhat.  It has been a LONG time since you could buy one for ~$100,000 as in a lot longer than since 2006 as it seems to indicate.  Just my opinion but I have actually looked at the prices of them now and then over the last 20 years so...

Later,

Wally

p.s. I did send my buddy a link to the Haggerty chart, e-mail titled "oh man, I remember when..." so it will be interesting to see his response as the M1 topic hasn't been mentioned in many years at this point.

p.p.s. Cool car!

• 2 weeks later...