WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New non BMW ride '05 V70R

jc43089

• 4 weeks later...

Well it took a while because of schedule and weather but the buyer is flying in today to drive it home.  I pick him up at the local airport at 2:15.

He bought a set of all season tires for the second set of wheels and shipped them to me so I could get them installed.  I had a shop install them and do a road force balance.  I brought them home and... even the thin stick on weights hit the calipers.  So I had to take them back and have them put the weights as close to the spokes as possible to clear the brakes.  Now they are good, installed them last night and took it for a last drive to make sure it is all good.  It's fun in the snow with the AWD working, even with traction/stability control on it will oversteer a surprising amount before it straightens you out.  Pressing the DSTC button once reduces the DSTC function.  You have to "press the DSTC button 5 times at a steady rate" to turn it off completely.  Only a Volvo engineer would do that...

1 hour ago, gilber33 said:

Damn. $9,200 for a 200k mile V70R. The market for these make almost no sense to me. It's crazy what people are willing to pay for them. I had an 04 V70R a few years ago that I paid 9600 for. Put some improvements into it and sold it for 11,500 a year later. 

Yea, although if you read the whole description I put about 4 grand in parts plus my labor into it in the last year.  I doubt you would find a more reliable one even if it only had 25k miles on it.  They are getting old enough that deterioration from age is a problem not just miles.  All of the seals I replaced were hard and either weeping or leaking.  Things that really surprised me were hard brittle o rings on the oil tubing inside the pan.  All it takes is a little suction leak to start getting air in the oil and wreck a lot of stuff.

16 minutes ago, gilber33 said:

But maintenance is maintenance, and understandably justifies maybe a little higher price. Regardless, the market for Rs is all over the place, and imo, makes no sense. 

Congrats on selling it thought. Manual wagons are harder to find and enthusiasts lose their shit over them. Haha 

The reason there are ones into 5 figures and also ones for 2 grand on facebook is that the parts are expensive.  A cheap one will cost a fortune to get back to stage 0.  Also many are modified which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.  

Parts cost example

One strut (electronic Monroe's) $350

Brake caliper $400

PCV rebuild kit $400

AWD hydraulic pump $350

I could go on but you get the idea...  And if you aren't working on it yourself factor in the labor.

21 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Lucky... in my xc70 you can't even turn off the traction control but it handles similar in the snow with the oversteer you're describing.  This'll be the one that got away for you!

Can you even reduce it?  I think only the R had that button, it's the leftmost one below the HVAC controls.  I wonder if it is possible to see what module that is wired to and install a button?  They all use the same ECU and modules.  I helped someone add features to his Duramax 2500 truck like high idle switch and exhaust braking just by adding wiring to the ecu, it was already programmed for it.  Do you have VIDA?

HORI24R.jpg?1

6 hours ago, jc43089 said:

The reason there are ones into 5 figures and also ones for 2 grand on facebook is that the parts are expensive.  A cheap one will cost a fortune to get back to stage 0.  Also many are modified which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.  

Parts cost example

One strut (electronic Monroe's) $350

Brake caliper $400

PCV rebuild kit $400

AWD hydraulic pump $350

I could go on but you get the idea...  And if you aren't working on it yourself factor in the labor.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the costs. I had an 04 V70R M66 with 118k miles and an 07 S60R GT with 80k miles and have had both cars very much apart and did more than my fair share of maintenance on it. Both got FMICs, intakes, exhausts, springs, etc. The S60R got a stage 2 tune with the torque limiter removed in gears 1 and 2. 

I know how much they cost, it just continuously blows my mind how much people are willing to pay for them and the lengths they'll go to get them. I group itself into that category since the wagon I drove back from Seattle and the sedan I drove back from North Carolina. 

3 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

@jc43089 No button.  According to the googles when i've looked into this that button didn't exist on the xc70 until 06 or 07.  I do not have VIDA right now as I haven't really had a need for it yet because my Autel has been able to communicate with what I need.

As far as I can tell my 08 xc70 doesn't have an option to turn it off either. I have VADIS but haven't dug into it since it doesn't really bother me. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:09 PM, gilber33 said:

Oh, I'm fully aware of the costs. I had an 04 V70R M66 with 118k miles and an 07 S60R GT with 80k miles and have had both cars very much apart and did more than my fair share of maintenance on it. Both got FMICs, intakes, exhausts, springs, etc. The S60R got a stage 2 tune with the torque limiter removed in gears 1 and 2. 

I know how much they cost, it just continuously blows my mind how much people are willing to pay for them and the lengths they'll go to get them. I group itself into that category since the wagon I drove back from Seattle and the sedan I drove back from North Carolina. 

As far as I can tell my 08 xc70 doesn't have an option to turn it off either. I have VADIS but haven't dug into it since it doesn't really bother me. 

Sorry I forgot you were a previous P2R owner.  Yes I agree it is crazy what people will pay, especially the wagon tax for VRs.  It just does not have the driving dynamics of a BMW and did not feel as satisfying to drive.  That's just my opinion though.  The guy who bought it had previously bought a ls427 swapped e39, he said it was extremely well done but was more of a race car than a street car and he didn't care for it.  He is in his 70's.  Link to his previous car, I would daily it...  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

35 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Sorry I forgot you were a previous P2R owner.  Yes I agree it is crazy what people will pay, especially the wagon tax for VRs.  It just does not have the driving dynamics of a BMW and did not feel as satisfying to drive.  That's just my opinion though.  The guy who bought it had previously bought a ls427 swapped e39, he said it was extremely well done but was more of a race car than a street car and he didn't care for it.  He is in his 70's.  Link to his previous car, I would daily it...  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

Id kill for that thing. 

• 3 months later...