WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Another new guy

TimMN

Hi everyone,

I may not live in WI anymore, but used to and I didn't get far, I can see your fair state outside my window. Thought I join up and see what's happening in the area. I have a few 2002s and M10 e30s. Bought my first '02 out of Stoughton many years ago.

Anyway, I'm also looking for a M10 5-spd g240 transmission. '83 e21 preferable, but others will do. Core (bad transmission internals) is ok. I'll wander over to the WTB section...

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks for the welcoming reception everyone.

JC, I'm north of LaCrosse a bit.

HipMF, good guess -- I've considered a M42 swap several times over the years,  but I'm sticking with the M10. The g240 trans is for one of my e30s, it came with an automatic.

A g245 would bolt up, but I'm not sure if the driveshaft splines have enough travel to make up for the extra length of the transmission. They are also more popular with the '02 set.

HipMF -- the preference for the e21 trans is for the mechanical speedo drive. For compatibility with '02s in case it gets swapped around down the road. It is a 'nice to have', not essential.

A e30 m10 trans will work just fine in the e30!

(I'm still looking...)

Tim

Okay. Be aware though that the e21 crossmember and shifter platform are different. The crossmember isn't a big deal, but the shifter may give you some trouble. The e30 shifter is generally regarded as a better design, but it doesn't work with the e21 trans. I've never looked at putting the e21 shifter in an e30, so no clue how hard that would be....

I have an e21 g240, but it's for my swap. I've swapped the bellhousing with a m42 g240 so that I can have a working speedometer and use the stock shifter in my e21 after the m42 swap. This means I have a leftover e30 g240 and an m10 bellhousing... You could have them cheap if you want them :)