WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

I got the parts back from Dan (vinyl wrap guy) last week. They look great! A lot better than I could have done. Last weekend I started up again on the body work. Applying thin layers of body filler over areas that needed smoothing as well as welding up more holes. I went to remove the paint around the driver side door trim holes to prep for welding and when I got the the 2 front holes, nothing but bondo. Gahh!!! The curse of Fat Bob strikes again! So, I immediately got onto Craigslist and found a guy in IL parting out an e21. He wanted to sell the doors as a set, so I talked him down to $100 for both doors. Rust free California car doors, works for me. drove down there last night to pick them up and he ended up throwing a cracked up dash in the back of my car too. Not sure what I will do with the other door and shitty dash, but whatever. Now to start prepping the drivers door for trim hole welding, body filler skim coat and vinyl. 

On a side note, this guy had a pretty damn impressive BMW collection. 2 e21's (one being parted out), a 2002, an e9 (up for sale), 3 e36 m3's, a fully race prepped e30 m3 and about 3 other cars on storage lifts with car covers on them so I couldn't tell what they were. 

On a side note, this guy had a pretty damn impressive BMW collection. 2 e21's (one being parted out), a 2002, an e9 (up for sale), 3 e36 m3's, a fully race prepped e30 m3 and about 3 other cars on storage lifts with car covers on them so I couldn't tell what they were. 

If thats the guy that i gave you contact info to than there is another e9 under one of these covers in pristine condition. I believe its a 3.0cs with the csi swapped engine. And there is another e30m3 under one of the covers. Also i think he has two e46 m3s. He also had e23 745 turbo for sale and euro e30 325ix fairly recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Today I removed the driver door due to the surprise bondo work. Actually went super well considering all the nightmare stories of removing the door brake pin I've read and heard. I swapped all the odds and ends from the old door to the new and slapped it on. It needs to be slightly pushed towards front of car to be perfectly aligned, but it still closes fine. I figure it's good enough for now seeing that I installed it myself with no help which was a chore. Lol929b8f3f01dd8ead3dac799cd34a5151.jpg6cfb5ea82c99fc1a74f217865f60957a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been real busy so far this year with work and other stuff, but slowly getting more progress done. I have the a, b & c pillars wrapped on both sides along with a few other areas. I am ordering more vinyl today to finish the doors and roof. Then i have to cut the rear arches, weld, modify the flares and get them fitted. Then I can order the remaining vinyl for the quarters and rear. 

4 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Then i have to cut the rear arches, weld...

Hahaha!

This can be a pain in the penis depending on how much of a perfectionist you are. Maybe it will be easier with your lift, but for me it was difficult to see what I was doing after I stuffed my head, weld shooter and hands all into the wheelwell, all while manuvering around the brake drum/suspension/etc.

Remember that the wheelwell holds the weight of the car as well. I'm assuming that the connection between the inner fenderwell and quarter panel is fairly important to the structure of the car. In hindsight, I'd like to investigate that area to see how many spot-welds there are, but Ben scrapped out all that metal for me....

It may not matter much, but if possible I'd recommend  angling the  filler pieces up from the quarter panel to the inner wheelwell, rather than making them a simple horizontal filler strip. CAD templates (cardboard-aided design) are your friend.

Good luck and godspeed.

3 hours ago, HipMF said:

Hahaha!

This can be a pain in the penis depending on how much of a perfectionist you are. Maybe it will be easier with your lift, but for me it was difficult to see what I was doing after I stuffed my head, weld shooter and hands all into the wheelwell, all while manuvering around the brake drum/suspension/etc.

Remember that the wheelwell holds the weight of the car as well. I'm assuming that the connection between the inner fenderwell and quarter panel is fairly important to the structure of the car. In hindsight, I'd like to investigate that area to see how many spot-welds there are, but Ben scrapped out all that metal for me....

It may not matter much, but if possible I'd recommend  angling the  filler pieces up from the quarter panel to the inner wheelwell, rather than making them a simple horizontal filler strip. CAD templates (cardboard-aided design) are your friend.

Good luck and godspeed.

Depending on how the inner and outer skins separate once cut, my plan of attack was to leave the inner a hair longer, pie cut it and bend up to meet outer skin. Then burn them in together. Any and all pics you have of this process would be great! If you don't mind sharing. 

19 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Depending on how the inner and outer skins separate once cut, my plan of attack was to leave the inner a hair longer, pie cut it and bend up to meet outer skin. Then burn them in together. Any and all pics you have of this process would be great! If you don't mind sharing. 

That sounds like a good plan. No pics of mine sadly.