WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Well, looks like I am in the market for some slightly oversize pistons and rings. :/ one piston gouged the cylinder wall pretty bad and the rings in every cylinder were broken.

Anyone have or know of any slightly oversized pistons for sale? At least 0.020" oversize, but nothing ridiculous. Just enough to get the cylinders smooth again and ready to rock.

OEM pistons for my M42 were really expensive. I was wary of the Maxsil ones, so I ordered some custom forged ones. Roughly the same price as OEM (a little cheaper actually), but they should be lighter, and you can get whatever compression ratio you want. I'd think that M20 pistons would be more common than M42, but it's still probably going to cost you.. $$$

Did you ask BavAuto about Mahle pistons? They have .5mm oversize listed on their website for about the same price as the MaxSil:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=0&htarget=asgridyearmodel.asp&Hecode=&hdept_id=3&HCY=1990&HCM=325i

n/m just re-read your post :facepalm

This is the first turbo with two actuator ports that I have dealt with. From my understanding it is so the turbo can be run with or without a boost controller. If no boost controller is used, the lower port gets connected to the compressor housing port and the upper port vents to atmosphere. If a boost controller is being used, the compressor housing port gets routed to the controller. Then from the controller it would get tee'd out to both ports on the actuator.

This is the first turbo with two actuator ports that I have dealt with. From my understanding it is so the turbo can be run with or without a boost controller. If no boost controller is used, the lower port gets connected to the compressor housing port and the upper port vents to atmosphere. If a boost controller is being used, the compressor housing port gets routed to the controller. Then from the controller it would get tee'd out to both ports on the actuator.

Wouldn't that cause it to do nothing?  Maybe I am misunderstanding what is inside of it.  I was thinking a diaphragm and one port is on each side of it.  Just trying to understand.  Someday I might like a snail.