WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Getting boring not being able to post pics of the car due to keeping the theme a secret. So, I say screw it. Some of you may recognize the livery design and possibly some may not. Either way, this is where the car stands as of today. 

4684964773073432412.jpg

Started with the rear flare modifications today. I first marked where the top of the flare will sit, then marked a line below that for where the body will be cut. Took the sawzall and cut about an inch below this line through both the inner and outer skin. I then used my air cut-off wheel and cut just the outer skin at the correct line. This left an inner skin lip that I pie cut. 

874527690718586807.jpg

Using a welders vise grips, I bent the pie cut pieces one-by-one up to the outer skin until they touched and flatten the underside with a hammer. I felt this was the safest/easiest way to reattach the skins back together. 

1159464034289367353.jpg

Next step is to weld the two skins together where they meet, cut off the excess outer skin lip, grind it smooth, weld up any gaps that remain, grind, and primer. I will then take cardboard to make a template to use on the other side and repeat. Once this is all done the remainder of the car gets wrapped. 😃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...