WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Doesn't matter what brand it is really. Just has to be a deep groove ball bearing unt that is 30mm x 58mm x 16mm exactly. I found a company in China that has 14 Nachi brand bearings that,are made in japan. I ordered all of them and am reselling some to other e21 owners. Just waiting for them to arrive in mail.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well I recieved one bearing from Blunt Tech so far as the other one was on backorder and BMW didn't tell him that. I should be receiving the other one on Tuesday tho. I also got all the japenese brand Nachi bearings from the company I found in China. They are the correct size as well and look to be great quality. Up there with Timken who we all know make great bearings as well. Finally able to move along with this rear end project.

ec190f33c8674bf1e69d072ade1f1eba.jpg

b4bd03d1b4d8c2e3ac766af848fc9951.jpg

New bearings and seals installed, broken bolts removed from stub axle, trailing arms cleaned and painted. Time to do a mock up of everything bolted together to figure out how much shorter I need the halfshafts to be.

833620592743e710870633628d0c25be.jpg

Figure I can cut an inch or 2 out of my bad halfshaft, put a metal pipe between it with some set screws to make an adjustable halfshaft. Then just play around with lengths until there is no binding in the cv joints for the entire trailing arm motion.

Once the length is found I will then take the good half shafts to machine service in pewaukee to have them shortened and balanced.

Got everything mocked up and ready to measure up the halfshaft lengths needed.

c4619a4e3beb35ab75c1f7e9cfcc8bb7.jpg

I went ahead and cut an inch out of the bad halfshaft which should be more than needed. Found that 1" black pipe fits right over the halfshaft like a glove (after grinding a nub or two off the shaft). So I drilled some holes, welded a few nuts and got some thumb screws. Now I have an adjustable length shaft to mock things up with.

b283053da563d9ac3c80e3d78bc56db5.jpg

33c03c98a9ca6fc746beb2ccb2cc0536.jpg

3edc2144dbf4b400be8debb346a38817.jpg