WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

How long was the fuel sitting for?
Well over a year and a half I'd say. I'm probably just more paranoid about running shitty fuel and tank with the fresh engine I spent so much time and money on. Should probably be done anyways since its a 30+ year old fuel tank.
I recently had a tank cleaned at Mike's radiator in Waukesha. Did a great job and it was only $45. I think he gets $100-150 for cleaning and sealing.
Good to know. Thanks!

Got more rusty metal out of the driver side floor pans.

2adfd255114e3b38e7cb16027c8af7a3.jpg

Accelerator pedal broke at the floor mounting point which is fine since it was already broken at the top anyways. Ordered a new one from fcpeuro.

I cleaned the remaining metal, applied rust killer and will be painting it with kbs rustseal tomorrow or Sunday.

On a side note, the radiator shops I was going to take the fuel tanks to for price quotes were both closed today. Looks like I'll have to wait till next week sometime.

Brian (snap) and I brained stormed for a bit and came to a conclusion that the relay I have in that spot may not be the correct relay. So, I will be getting a new relay socket this week to replace the one I have with burnt wire and also a "correct" relay. Hopefully that solves it and I can attempt to start then engine for first time.

I have been swamped with work and decal orders, so no time to work on this thing. Hopefully this weekend will be a different story. Brian and I are extremely certain that the wrong relay was used which had the high current positive and ground reversed compared to the correct e30 (white) relay. I have a relay coming in the mail soon and just need to make a new wire in place of the one that burnt. Crossing fingers that is it.

replaced the burnt wire and got the correct main relay in. turned key on and no smoke this time, good sign. went to start it, just clicked, bad sign. Brian came over to do some electrical ecu tests and  all checked out except power to the fuel pump. hhmmm. fuel pump ran the first time i turned the key and relay wire smoked, but nothimg since. so now 2 issues.

i got the battery charged up at oreilly so i could rule that out. still just clicked. so i got a remote trigger starter, connected it to diagnostic port and she cranked away perfectly. heaven to my ears. now i know my ignition switch is bad and will most likely move to a pish button type ignition setup with hidden kill switch.

as for fuel pump not working, still a mystery for now. any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Well after some trial and error, flipping relays around and getting different injectors that DON'T leak, she lives!! Gotta keep the rpms up otherwise it dies right away, but she runs nonetheless. Having trouble with my laptop connecting to Megasquirt and tunerstudio, so haven't updated the correct tune yet. Always something!

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY SHIT DAVE!

You've been busy in the time that I've been pretending that I don't own a project car.

I think you and I need to have a sit down talk about parts and what not.

Looks awesome man I cant wait to see videos

Thanks man! Yeah for sure. I'd be down for a little sit down talk about stuff. I am in limbo mode right now due to my megasquirt connection issues. Otherwise I am sure I would have been driving around by now.