WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Looking for a new daily - input needed.

ClassE

My mk4 Jetta daily will likely be kicked to the curb shortly after the New Year, and I'll be looking for something in a new daily driver.

Alittle about me: Wife and 2 small children (3 yr old and 4 month old), "bigger" man, others cars: Summer only E30 and Wife has a new mini-van. Car will be driveway kept (garage is occ-u-pado by E30). Commute is 60 miles daily (50 of which are interstate cruising). Would like some of the "nicer" amenities (Heated seats/power windows/etc.) but not a "must". I'm okay with bare bones "meh" car if the price works.

Not looking to pull the trigger on anything till February-ish, just looking for advice from everyone.

"Must Haves":

A - 4-Doors-For-More-Whor.... Groceries

B - Large Back Seat (remember 2 kids - 1 in a rear facing baby seat. AKA Friggen HUGE seat).

C - Safe

D - Reliable

I've traditionally bought high mileage $1000 "throw-a-way" cars for myself (mk3-4 Jettas or Passats), did some basic maintence and drove them until they explode - then repeat. With 2 kids now, safety is a bigger concern and space for them and their stuff.

I'm wide open to most options, but I would like to hear opinions on used BMW's. 3/5/7 series and such, any generations/engines to stay away, etc... Looking to spend $10k or less (preferably less) and would be getting a small loan for the car.

Let's hear your thoughts!

E46's seem to be a good fit for such a use. The only thing I don't like about them is the subframe mount cracking issue. Otherwise everything else seems great about them for a family car. Back seats are pretty spacious IIRC. The touring would obviously be more spacious by a hair. 

I'm personally not a big fan of the M70, I suppose I've never been behind the wheel of one but you only get 20hp on the M60b40 and way worse mileage. Doesn't seem worth it to me but then again the torque figures are a bit different and it's kinda a unique engine so there is that as well. Definitely gets a down vote on reliability though, I've heard not good things about that engine on that point.

I would say e46 or e39 is a good choice. I love e39s, my dad had a 540i/6 growing up and it was a great car and I'm biased towards 5ers as well. On the 740i or iL note, you could get a really REALLY nice e38 for your price range since the depreciate so fast, people get super clean ones under for less then $4k. I've fallen in love with the M60b40 as well, its a great engine. As long they had their Nikasil cylinder liners were replaced under recall (I believe back in the day but what I understand most have been replaced) they are reliable. It has great power and you can easily bump it up to the same hp as the M70 with this chip, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-chip-BMW-840-740-540-M60B40-engine-/320635918206 , if you are looking for that. My mileage has been a lot better then I expected, city is low as expected but combined with highway I get around 21 average, the catch is on the way down to school on two fill ups I got 26 and 25 (through the mountains!) on 100% highway driving so you could do pretty good with your mostly highway commute, maybe a little lower since my 540 is a little smaller. I think this engine is the best cruising engine, its got the power, decent mileage, and it's just a joy to drive. From what I hear around here it seems most BMW drivers get low to mid 20s so you'll be right in the average. Some food for thought.    

I'm personally not a big fan of the M70, I suppose I've never been behind the wheel of one but you only get 20hp on the M60b40 and way worse mileage. Doesn't seem worth it to me but then again the torque figures are a bit different and it's kinda a unique engine so there is that as well. Definitely gets a down vote on reliability though, I've heard not good things about that engine on that point.

Yeah, it's probably not a good choice for a daily, but I'm still a little stunned that you can get such a high-end car in that condition for so little money.

As an owner of an e46s I can vouch for the back seat. I live a few miles south of Milwaukee and this past summer made 2 or 3 trips to the Wisconsin dells with 3 mid 20 guys. If I had the money though I would get an e90 335. Why? Because it has the n54 engine which seems to be a very reliable engine from what I've heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E46 sedan/wagon has been a top contender. I'd love a N54 powered anything, but the $10k kills that idea. I'd spend more, but can't spending $15k-$20k on something I'm gonna throw mileage at.

How are the trans in E46's? I'd prefer a manual, but my wife would rather have a auto.

Mk4 ignition is on the fritz, might pull the trigger sooner then later.