WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

WI BIMMERS Facebook group?

YoungCR

OK first my diclaimer:

I in no way intend to be condescending or an ass hole in this post.

Restricting a group means of communication to a forum in an age of social media just feels a little old fart ish. What does that mean? Well there is a whole world out there outside of WI. I understand we are WI Bimmers but no other Bimmer group will ever be aware of our existence unless they search this exact forum and name via Google which probably isn't even the first result.

New members? How is that a bad thing? In my experience the more members you have the more possible participants you will have for you meets and events. 100 members total and a forum = 100 forum members. 500 members and 30% forum participation = 150 forum members. It's a numbers game and if the younger members like me 25 and under find it easier to communicate and participate on a daily I don't see the harm. It already feels like your events and meets are to largely spaced out due to the choir of having to come to this forum page and hope that members login to read about the meets. That means you have to place meets to far in the future that people have the time to see it and respond.

Meaningful information?

I don't know about you but I don't always do things for meaningful and practicality, what ever happened to fun? It kind of feels like you want to push a high society organization by not being open minded to the 16 year old who just traded his honda for his first bimmer. Why yes this members i very annoying, immature and probably going to be for the next 4-6 years of his life but how is he supposed to learn he isn't suppose to use the red or green coolant in his 15 year old BMW unless we ridicule him and give him the good old meme beat down for trashing his cooling system?

Sorry if this turned into a rant but here are some pictures of a functioning LARGE bimmer group in Georgia.

you may draw your opinions from these and roast my post if you so feel. No feelings will be hurt lol

You... You make a compelling argument.  

Forums are for enthusiasts and Facebook pages are for schmucks.

The format of going through status's and comments is utterly inferior to the usage of threads on Forums. Navigation and formality of a forum is why they will always prevail over Facebook groups. 

WiBimmers already has a Facebook page where people can join and find out about our Forum. I see no reason to make that page mimic this glorious website. 

I agree with stuff

I am also a pompous ass.

I want to share my passion/hobby with others, and help them enjoy it as much as I do.

I have a distinct fear of a local forum where the majority consists of current model year bmws fresh off the lot and the threads consist of which dealer is best for installing ///M floor mats and license plate frames.

I also start a lot of sentences with the word "I"

(Here comes the asshole in me)

But what about the deep seeded issues of today's youth constantly clamoring for any sense of approval or acknowledgement from their peers?!? Without those 34 "Likes" on their FB page and IG - they don't feel the constant approval of others like through their childhood full of participation awards and group hugs?

Mr ClassE-pants was giving me a hard time about it and he wouldnt tell me what the AOL Keyword was so I couldnt find out.

Then my mouse ball fell out somewhere and I couldnt use it anymore.

I tried to send the keyword to you over AIM, but I have a hard time remembering passwords from 1996.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, well, I'm the "Newbie" here. Maybe I can provide an unbiased viewpoint. Let's just get this out of the way: I'm not a kid (42), but I am a kid at heart. I love driving fast, and I love Bimmers. I really like to DIY everything I can, which is why I have joined some forums...mainly for technical information and DIY advice.

There are three forums I participate in... e90post, n54tech and this one. I know there are others out there, but if I can't find the info I'm looking for on those three, I might go lurk somewhere else.

A FaceBook page? No need. All we need to do collectively, is go to our personal FaceBook accounts and occassionally post a link back to WI BIMMERS. Our friends on FB can check it out, and word spreads that way.

Maintaining and flip-flopping back and forth between the WI Bimmers FB page and the WI Bimmers Forum is redundant. I do plenty of redundant crap at work. I don't want to post "What is this peculiar noise coming from my engine?" twice. Nope, just once thanks. Bottom line is a FB presence would dilute this Forum. You would have people who post here all the time, and others who would post on FB all the time.

Agreed.

However I do like the WIbimmers posts once in a while, reminding me of an event or posting a cool pic I can share on my Timeline.

We're always looking for things to post on the page! It's hard this time of year with nothing really going on though.

Also besides not having to many posts on the page recently there have been a lot of likes and new members joining up here. The best we can do is spread the word like we always have.