WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

WI BIMMERS Facebook group?

YoungCR

Question was posted to the facebook page wonderint if there should be a group.

Thought about it.

My question has been if it would keep people off the forums or create more interest. Seems a lot of people posting on the groups dont visit the forum.

Also there are many local/regional groups already but they seem to be pretty restrictive on posts. If there is a demand for it maybe there should be a group. Also seems like these take a little more moderation effort with facebook spammers.

If we were to create a facebook group, we would loose forum traffic greatly.  I think occasionally posting links to threads for events, general BMW news, and pictures is really the main purpose of the facebook page.  More of a 'promotional tool' if anything.  

I think making people come to the website creates more active members of the community, as facebook is pretty casual.  However, if that format works for more people than not, it's worth looking into.  Snap would feel left out because he still uses Friendster.

Vote thread?

I think using Facebook to link to the forum is worth the time but other than that I believe that no matter the intent of a Facebook group they always go to shit (I'm looking at you WCEC).  I'll take a quality forum over a large volume of followers on Facebook any day.

With that said, I have told a few people about the page and they typically say "Oh, is that a Facebook group?"  and I have to explain to somebody what the internet is so it seems that awareness is a little bit of an issue.

WCEC is a great example of the shit show facebook groups can be. 

Im with patsbimmer.  The facebook is pretty much just a promotional tool for the site.  Like our founder Alex said, we shouldn't try to be big.  Trying to be big and over organised makes some people feel excluded or like its too much work to be a member. 

I think this past year is a great example of how we should try to keep it casual, and stay relatively small. 

The purpose of this site (in my mind) is to share a common interest with those in the vicinity and be able to buy/sell/offer help etc and I think it has been extremely successful at that. I have met a lot of great people on here that I annoy/annoy me on a daily basis, bought and sold stuff, and best of all i can harass earl from the safety of my parents basement. 

More exposure will help other like-minded individuals find the site and use it to their benefit. 

if there was any point to this post then I have forgotten what it was and I will quit now.

Save big money. 

On a more serious note: FB groups are good for posting/sharings pics for E-fame...... And that's about it (other then the occasional "I broke this - how do I fix it") - and Coke jokes (how's his highness running that group now-a-days, still think his group is the best thing since sliced bread?).

I think true die-hard enthusiasts will migrate to forums for good searchable info and tech advice, and kids wondering what plastidip to use will continue e-vomiting all over FB.

....or maybe I'm just the automotive equivalent of an old man sitting on his front porch yelling "at them damn kids" to get off his lawn.

On a more serious note: FB groups are good for posting/sharings pics for E-fame...... And that's about it (other then the occasional "I broke this - how do I fix it") - and Coke jokes (how's his highness running that group now-a-days, still think his group is the best thing since sliced bread?).

I think true die-hard enthusiasts will migrate to forums for good searchable info and tech advice, and kids wondering what plastidip to use will continue e-vomiting all over FB.

....or maybe I'm just the automotive equivalent of an old man sitting on his front porch yelling "at them damn kids" to get off his lawn.

I concur.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I was the one who asked the original question.

I asked it for this reason:

When I move from place to place, the easiest way for me to meet people and find enthusiast groups and information is a search on facebook. In Georgia we have 3 Bimmer groups who intermingle via facebook. These pages haven't gone to shit due to the group actually having an official committee that decides rules and regulations by votes.

When I moved here, it took me well over a month before being told by a friend of a friend that this group existed.

Also facebook groups are useful because I can receive notifications for posts and have quick access to questions/ help/ advice/ advertisements ect. I spend most of my day logged into facebook however I don't use it for anything but updates and news such as this.

I think it would be an excellent idea for a BMW club to have a social media presence. This way I can get to know people personally before actually meeting them by friending and viewing personal content about them. Buying items off them would also be easier by messenger and other features offered. Personally I come to forums for big information gathering needs that would best be suited here. However I never post on just our small state forum alone, I also keep an active presence on Bimmerforums and 1addics. That being said that doesn't take away from my participation in ATLBimmers/ FloridaBimmers/ Bimmerforums/ 1addicts.

It just provides quicker options for information and help to me. I also think it helps the average BMW driver isn't under 18 years of age or something like that.

I'm certainly not opposed to a FB group (I would join and post awesome memes and car pics with the best of them), I just don't really see the allure other then to attract new "people" (which I personal think isn't always a good thing).

As a reference, here's "Collins Recap" of the 12 more recent Posts on the R3V FB page:

"I don't know where to find parts or how to fix my issue"

"Check out this video link I stole from someone else's page"

"Buy my Parts"

"Look at Me - Look at Me!"

"Check out this picture I stole from someone else's page"

"Check out this link I found to parts for sale"

"Someone tell me what I should like"

"Check out this link I found to parts for sale"

"I don't know where to find parts or how to fix my issue"

I apologize if it seems like I'm an judge mental asshole - but this is the internet and it's serious business.

Also - Snaps not on FB..... So.... There's that.

I'm not opposed to a Facebook page necessarily, but, it will definitely have a negative effect on forum participation. I'm a member of a forum for my other collector car, which also has a Facebook page. Participation on the forum has all but vanished in the past year except for a few of us die hards. If everybody feels that a Facebook page would be fun, go for it. Just don't be surprised if participation here takes a serious nose dive.

Just my Twocents.gif

I'm not opposed to a Facebook page necessarily, but, it will definitely have a negative effect on forum participation. I'm a member of a forum for my other collector car, which also has a Facebook page. Participation on the forum has all but vanished in the past year except for a few of us die hards. If everybody feels that a Facebook page would be fun, go for it. Just don't be surprised if participation here takes a serious nose dive.

Just my Twocents.gif

That's exactly what we don't want to happen, seems like new people would just be drawn to Facebook postings over visiting the site.

OK first my diclaimer:

I in no way intend to be condescending or an ass hole in this post.

Restricting a group means of communication to a forum in an age of social media just feels a little old fart ish. What does that mean? Well there is a whole world out there outside of WI. I understand we are WI Bimmers but no other Bimmer group will ever be aware of our existence unless they search this exact forum and name via Google which probably isn't even the first result.

New members? How is that a bad thing? In my experience the more members you have the more possible participants you will have for you meets and events. 100 members total and a forum = 100 forum members. 500 members and 30% forum participation = 150 forum members. It's a numbers game and if the younger members like me 25 and under find it easier to communicate and participate on a daily I don't see the harm. It already feels like your events and meets are to largely spaced out due to the choir of having to come to this forum page and hope that members login to read about the meets. That means you have to place meets to far in the future that people have the time to see it and respond.

Meaningful information?

I don't know about you but I don't always do things for meaningful and practicality, what ever happened to fun? It kind of feels like you want to push a high society organization by not being open minded to the 16 year old who just traded his honda for his first bimmer. Why yes this members i very annoying, immature and probably going to be for the next 4-6 years of his life but how is he supposed to learn he isn't suppose to use the red or green coolant in his 15 year old BMW unless we ridicule him and give him the good old meme beat down for trashing his cooling system?

Sorry if this turned into a rant but here are some pictures of a functioning LARGE bimmer group in Georgia.

you may draw your opinions from these and roast my post if you so feel. No feelings will be hurt lol

post-3518-0-14973400-1415206088_thumb.pn

post-3518-0-64405400-1415206096_thumb.pn