WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Motorcycle lust

Narcosis

The wife and I spent yesterday afternoon motoring around the back roads of west central Wisconsin.  I've not owned a bike for many years, but last night I found myself using craigslist and google to find one.   I have the feeling that when I get home from travel this week I may have to get one.   Specifically looking at a 2012 Harley V-Rod "muscle".  Damn it... :)

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some more homework and getting some seat time, I opted for more of a cruiser vs the v-rod.   This morning I picked up a 2011 Heritage Softail with just under 13k miles.  Weather tomorrow up on this side of the state is going to be stellar, so the wife and I are going to put a few miles on with a couple of friends & their SO's.   

Harley-01.jpg

Harley-02.jpg

Harley-03.jpg

• 1 year later...

So with the past weekend's nice weather and deciding that I am kind of over riding a sport bike, I opted to put my triumph daytona 675 up for sale last friday evening. Less than 24 hours later it was sold for a price I was happy with. So now I am in the market for a new bike. More of a cruiser type, but not a grandpa cruiser at all. Here is what I am debating between currently...

Harley Sportster Forty-Eight - The 1200cc engine is the perfect size (had one in my buell which was fun) but I have heard that the suspension and ride feel is pretty rough. Would be good for commuting to work as well as the occasional longer distance rides.

vp4347008_1_large.jpg

Harley V-Rod - Don't even need to mention the engine size and performance as its definitely up there. Great for commuting to work and city riding, not so much for long distance highway riding. Which may be a problem.

vp4503279_1_large.jpg

Triumph Speedmaster or T100 Bonneville - Nice looking bikes with the retro triumph looks mixed with modern performance. Big question is the small 865cc engine and will it be enough. I am not used to anything smaller than an 1100cc when it comes to v-twins.Don't want to be full throttle'ing it just to keep up with other riders and traffic.

E2EBFAA9-E0C1-44B5-899F-87FCBF04D768.jpg

4704B017-07DE-4FBB-A6EA-5F26B3FE6AD0.jpg

Last but not least (and obviously the most expensive) would be ....

BMW R Nine-T - Looks amazing, sounds nice too. Not a Harley rumble, but a nice smooth sound. Engine size is great. Not sure how I would like the wideness of the flat twin engine tho. Also, it doesn't give that rawness that to me, a motorcycle should have. Definitely the most unique/different looking bike out of the group tho, which if you know me well, I like being different.

00p0p_115xul8Z7le_600x450.jpg

What do you guys think? I know to really get the full answers to my hesitations I will need to test ride all of them, which I plan on doing this spring. But I do like getting input from others as well.

I agree on the grom. Looks super fun but I do need more practicality. I have a love hate relationship with harleys. I've grown up with a dad who always had a Harley so I have a soft spot for them. But then my "want to be different" mentality kicks in. The vrod would be the closest thing to satisfy both sides. Designed by Porsche with Harley badges.

The BMW is very intriguing to me and I'm most anxious to test ride that one out of the rest. Seating style seems to be right between a crotch rocket and cruiser which may be a good thing for me. But it may also be too close to the "uncomfortable" aspect of a sport bike I'm trying to steer away from. It's also the most expensive one tho. Which I have to keep in mind too.

5 hours ago, Bassboy3313 said:

Engine size is just way too small on that one. Nice looking retro bike tho.

woah, woah, woah. Back the truck up. Since when is 750cc too small... Too small for what? Are you planning on pulling a trailer with that thing, or just dating a really fat chic? :P