WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Ryan...

Guys. Guys! GUYS! No, seriously, guise, I'm back!

Introducting my brand new to me 98 323is, in the wonderful Avus Blau :D

Picked it up today for $3200 which would normally be a lot for you folks down south, but at 212k with 0 rust I consider it a steal! 

*Thankfully the Bank of Girlfriend came through with an interest free loan and allowed me to buy the car!

Clutch has less than 10k on it.

Tires all have less than 10k.

Interior is super clean, although some parts need attention.

Paint is super clean (considering WI).

Wheels are shnazzy looking IMO.

I luv luv luv luv luv it.

Bad:

Has a Dinan badge on the rear, I will surely remove it soon.

Shift knob is FUBAR, feels like it's going to fall off in my hand.

Paint chips on hood need attention.

Headliner is beginning to sag in various spots, want to replace with black piece.

Front struts are beginning to leak, Koni + H&R race in the future.

Needs clears, although I actually dont mind how the orange pops with the blue paint :eeps:

Glove box button popped out on the drive home.

I'll try to get some more pics later, right now I'm going to put some miles on it and continue smiling like a moron :D

323is2_zps7a16dd59.png

323is1_zps2474dfbf.png

323is3_zps832582d5.png

A-friggen-men to THAT! Worth every penny for southern cars.

+10000000009

No problem buddy. I am here to help=P I also owed you one since I only found out about WiBimmers because of you=)

Goodness, I remember that now! Seems like forever ago...

Lookin good!!!! No rust is a definite bonus! I have some m tech springs if you want them.

Thanks much!

PM sent :)

Thanks!

Tomorrow I'm going to stick the headliner back up, attempt to polish the headlights, and try to find some local plasti dip for the kidneys. I hate chrome...

Also, going to attempt to drill my ignition tumbler to prevent it from wrecking itself. My key was spinning freely today and nearly left me stranded... No me gusta.

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be coming to meets again, assuming my stupid schedule allows. The company I work for hires a lot of military folks, so the next 2 months at least 14 employees will be leaving for extended periods meaning I'll be hopefully getting 45-55 hours a week.

*edit, answered my own question

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be coming to meets again, assuming my stupid schedule allows. The company I work for hires a lot of military folks, so the next 2 months at least 14 employees will be leaving for extended periods meaning I'll be hopefully getting 45-55 hours a week.

Now a question, at hwy speeds if I hit a large bump the car feels as though it's moving side to side, like it's "floating." I see that the front struts are beginning to lose fluid, but I couldn't really see/feel any other issues underneath the car. Granted it was 2am when I looked, but where should I begin inspecting? I'll likely just go ahead and change the struts (springs too hopefully), tie rods, and sway bar end links just for peace of mind.

Recommended replacement on Struts/Shocks is 50k miles.  From what you are describing from a ride control standpoint the struts/shocks are done for.  On most of the German vehicles you won't hear the struts/shocks go bad but you will feel the handling decrease, such as what you are describing.  I would also jack up the front end and shake down the front end to see if you have any balljoint play which was pretty common on these.  The bushings are inspected visually and just look for cracking or separation.

^^ Thanks for the reply, I'm not even sure why I asked it, because as I was writing it down I realized I pretty much knew the answer lol

I'm probably going to go with some cheap Koni STR.T front struts and try to find a cheap set of H&R race springs for the front. While I'm in there I'd like to just go ahead and change some of those suspension parts while I have it all off and hanging loose.