WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

Okay, got a lot fixed.

- The EGT sensor wire had sheared off and replaced with a new one.

- One O2 sensor was replaced.

- The #6 injector was leaking and was replaced.

- Valve job was due so got it done but everything wasn't too out of wack.

- Hood latch sensor was replaced.

- An exhaust stud on the #5 cylinder was missing. Got a new one in there.

- A new belt, tensioner and idlers were all replaced.

- Rear trunk latch was replaced.

The cherry on top was the previous shop that installed the headers, after extremely scratching off the ceramic coating, more than likely removed the passenger side engine mount to provide room. Well, while Urban MotorworX was re-installing the missing exhaust stud he noticed the engine mount didn't have any bolts. After further inspection only one bolt was still on holding the broken piece of the engine mount to the block. THE WHOLE ENGINE WAS RESTING ON THE STEERING RACK! That would explain the weird vibrations I've been dealing with. This is also why the EGT sensor was sheared off. Matt installed two bolts to bandaid the problem for the time being. Tuesday the new arm will be here. Not sure if the previous shop over torqued the bolts and with my hard driving they came loose or if they were tight in the first place *cough, exhaust stud, cough*. After thousands and thousands of dollars spent on fixing issues of incompetent mechanics at this shop my word of advise to the community is please steer clear.

The car is running amazing at the moment. I am getting a too lean code from bank one and two but I think that might be the tuning that needs to be tweaked.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to go through this list one by one.

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1/2) :

* Fuel system
* Excessive fuel pressure.
* Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
* Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
* Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
* Vapor recovery system.
* Induction system:
: : - Air leaks after the MAF.
: : - Vacuum Leaks.
: : - PCV system.
: : - Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
* EGR system:
: : - Leaking gasket.
: : - Stuck EGR valve.
: : - Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
* Base Engine: :
: : - Oil overfill.
: : - Cam timing.
: : - Cylinder compression.
: : - Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

Did some work on the M3 today with the help of Dan The Exhaust Man.  Now waiting on parts that should be showing up tomorrow.

4 out of the 6 cylinders were leaking at the exhaust ports due to loose bolts.  Hmmm, why do some shops reuse one time use components?!!?

16176929494_d132b3b182_b.jpg

16611677928_3665d62da4_b.jpg

16613125129_617223957b_b.jpg

16613120509_0a04d880ee_b.jpg

16611665158_b9f4ac4973_b.jpg

16613111219_bc8e0dc574_b.jpg

16799223615_0bd9ee7e2c_b.jpg

Just got the valves adjusted... leaking oil??

16799221245_8e985feca8_b.jpg

16799215965_ed42b8b4d2_b.jpg

Took some material off of the motor mount and its heat sheild to make room for the header.16798104281_fb9961a263_b.jpg

Missing some material.  This is the #6 cylinder which has had the most issues.

16613089079_f308340852_b.jpg

Seeing this work makes me angry.  I dedicate a lot of my time training technicians and service managers and trying to pound into their heads that auto repair is a professional industry and we should carry ourselves accordingly.  You are only as good as the quality of work you put out and the image you portray.  If you want to be treated like a "grease monkey" and you want to lie to customers by putting out crap work and denying liability when faults are pointed out then you will never make it for any length of time in this industry.  What bothers me most is that shit like this only perpetuates the idea that all technicians are selling snake oil and cheating and stealing there way to a paycheck.  There are honest shops and honest techs out there but these cock gobblers keep fucking it up!  The customers loose out the most in this whole thing because they feel they need to question every recommended service or repair and waste time getting 2nd opinions or just flat out not believing anything and not getting the repair done at all!

/rant