WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

• 3 weeks later...

So far this winter the M3 has been doing okay. Avoiding driving it on the super cold days in favor of the 2001 XJ Jeep.

Necessary to do's:

- Weld two new resonators I have into section 1.

- Install new crush rings and bolts where the headers meet section 1.

Hopefully these two fixes will fix the running rich on bank 1&2 and stop the vibrations at low rpm.

- Connect sunroof drain hose in the A pillar.

- Dry out the carpet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well smotth running values def indicates cylinders 1 and 2 misfiring at that time. BUt your fault codes show more, and a low fuel level fault also. When does the misfire occur? Id be inclined to either investigate cylinders 1 and 2 or clear all faults, make sure you have more then a 1/4 tank of gas and see what faults return. coils. plugs, injectors could all cause this.

I cant believe all the crap you can read off newer control modules. That would drive the OCD crazy with all the faults that come up

You have no idea, I bought the scanner that can tap into every module in my e46. It is ridiculous what it will record, "low voltage passenger side mirror" for example. It was a shadow code so it wasn't actively happening. If you unplug anything it will remember. 

Gets crazy, and that's on a 2000, imagine what the 2014 cars are like.

Ok so its a present fault. Do all the misfire faults come back? cylinder 1 and 2 could be the culprit and causing the rest to store faults also. What if you remove the software and clear? Easiest thing would be to swap coils and plugs with differenct cylinders just to make sure its not either of them. I know you stated they were new but still. Next would be fuel injectors.