WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John runs royal purple so to offset the cost he uses it longer :P just kidding im guessing since synthetic last longer he just changes filters to keep the fluid clean. Curious for the explanation though.

I am interested to hear as well.  They do make long life filters for these maintenance schedules if that is truly the reason.  There are enough manufacturers using extended oil change intervals for years now that the products are available to accommodate.

This is true, I was referring to changing the filter more often on the Nissan, not the BMW.  It has a super tiny oil filter and concerns me, it also is in a terrible spot that it can't be swapped for a longer one to have more surface area.  It's definitely not necessary though.  The Royal Purple HPS is good for more than 10k, I just go for overkill by changing it that often.

This is true, I was referring to changing the filter more often on the Nissan, not the BMW.  It has a super tiny oil filter and concerns me, it also is in a terrible spot that it can't be swapped for a longer one to have more surface area.  It's definitely not necessary though.  The Royal Purple HPS is good for more than 10k, I just go for overkill by changing it that often.

Piece of mind is a reasonable enough answer for me lol

• 3 weeks later...
How is the smell running headers on the s54? I went with long tube headers and catless on the S50 for a long time and it made your cloths smell like a drag strip. Just curious how it is on these cars, I'd like to do headers soon, but I might consider putting 200 cell cats in the section 1.

It isn't as stinky as my catless non-turbo S52 was. Closer to race gas than dirty smelling.

60680619f7a46f8213c8ceab7b20c644.jpg3c2c5311fa3c115b1f8cc78a3ce94a36.jpg

The tires on these e39 rims are 215/55R17 and the seem to fit okay in the front from lock to lock. No problem in the rear.

Just to make some clearance for snow I'll get some new 205/50R17 for them so I'm able to rotate all 4 to slow down rear tire wear.

74.1 to 72.6 spacers are on their way.

Mudflaps are in the works also. Going to get as flappy as possible!!

What oil should I run with the S54? I'm about to do some searching but want your input also!

Thanks for lookin'.

I would stick with the castol 10w60 from the dealer. To my understanding the castrol 10w60 sold elsewhere is different. For mudflaps, I'd just order oem ones, they're only like $30 a pair. You don't need to be running around looking like a Subaru fanboy.

I always get the castrol from the dealer. Is that weight okay to run in the colder temps?

The flaps are to help prevent direct road spray hitting the car. The stock ones don't look like they do a great job of that.

The choice of the right SAE grade is based on the climatic conditions in the region in which you normally drive.

*The following is the only recommended and approved synthetic oil for BMW M (Motorsport)vehicles in the US market with gasoline engines, at the present time.
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Synthetic Oils for BMW M vehicles
equipped with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engines
Castrol EDGE Professional TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil,
BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420
or
Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W30 Synthetic Engine Oil
BMW part number 07 51 0 037 195