WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

this is what happens when those BMW engineers get all redneck with stuff. they are usually pretty good about not doing that.

"hey! lets make an 'SMG' transmission. we will just attach a thinga-ma-bob that moves the lever around to the regular manual box and make is super complicated so it looks like new tech, instead of designing a new transmission."

Ran the program and couple of more times while I was cleaning out the garage.

It still "cannot find the center of the shift path."

I'm leaning towards taking it to the dealer and just get it fixed. Maybe their software is better than the Windows XP laptop I have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha

Update:

6cced0cb68993b117a4f1e34de1278f4.jpg

The part #5 is a plug and the new one the make doesn't fit as snug as the original one does. The tech took a pick and with barely any force popped off the plug.

I replaced the spring but not the roller inside the trans. He pulled that out and it was at 3 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock where it should have been. Maybe this is it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It's soo good to have it back. The body shop is booked up but I should have it back next week. Getting new plastic parts to replace the broken ones where needed on the underside. Excited to get this back to 100%

I feel the loss of compression was gradual as the car smelled super rich for the longest time. It was dumping fuel to make up for the drop of compression. I feel it was just beat on super hard from day 1. I know I was everything but kind to that motor.

Next phase is a new coil over set up. I like the low look but I need a quality but sporty ride. What is a good choice? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

4 minutes ago, DrLeadFoot said:

Thanks guys! It's soo good to have it back. The body shop is booked up but I should have it back next week. Getting new plastic parts to replace the broken ones where needed on the underside. Excited to get this back to 100%

I feel the loss of compression was gradual as the car smelled super rich for the longest time. It was dumping fuel to make up for the drop of compression. I feel it was just beat on super hard from day 1. I know I was everything but kind to that motor.

Next phase is a new coil over set up. I like the low look but I need a quality but sporty ride. What is a good choice? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

KW Street Comforts have been getting great reviews but I don't think they're available on the e46 M3 yet.  ST's are a great choice and have a rebate going on right now.  The XTA is a fully adjustable version of their ST X.  BC get's great reviews as well and are more budget minded than the ST's while still being fully adjustable.  Only issue with BC is they are all custom so it typically takes 3-4 weeks to get a set.

• 2 weeks later...