WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

Well shoot... after installing the driveshaft it hit the fan.

I didn't know that I had to adjust the pressure plate when I installed a new clutch.

Now it is grinding gears when I try to out it into R. It goes into 1 now and then.

Taking it to the dealership to finish the job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gotta pull the trans.

13 hours ago, DrLeadFoot said:

Well shoot... after installing the driveshaft it hit the fan.

I didn't know that I had to adjust the pressure plate when I installed a new clutch.

Now it is grinding gears when I try to out it into R. It goes into 1 now and then.

Taking it to the dealership to finish the job.

Gotta pull the trans.

Wait so you installed a new clutch and pressure plate or clutch disc? If you did a whole new clutch and pressure plate you need to run through the clutch break in procedure and clutch wear point test plan as well. If you did just a clutch disc then they clutch plate would need to be reset as with all e46s its a self adjusting clutch so you need to special tool to turb back the springs when isntalling. Eitherway unfortunately this is what happens in the enthusiast world when guys think they can work on it all themselves on vehicles/systems they know nothing about. Hate to see it but I see it often.

44 minutes ago, CMart said:

You own a mechanic shop right?

You really need to work on your delivery/interpersonal skills.

I speak the truth whether you want to hear it or not. This wasn't a call out to him individually, saying he cant work on cars right. This was to the bmw community as a whole. Its one thing to work on e30s and e36s but once you get into a technical system like smg or such you need to know whay your doing as you can cause serious damage if you dont. Hell if he would have drove it for awhile he could have done serious damage to the transmission. 

Here is your statement:

Wait so you installed a new clutch and pressure plate or clutch disc? If you did a whole new clutch and pressure plate you need to run through the clutch break in procedure and clutch wear point test plan as well. If you did just a clutch disc then they clutch plate would need to be reset as with all e46s its a self adjusting clutch so you need to special tool to turb back the springs when isntalling. Eitherway unfortunately this is what happens in the enthusiast world when guys think they can work on it all themselves on vehicles/systems they know nothing about. Hate to see it but I see it often.

Here is what you could have said:

Wait so you installed a new clutch and pressure plate or clutch disc? If you did a whole new clutch and pressure plate you need to run through the clutch break in procedure and clutch wear point test plan as well. If you did just a clutch disc then they clutch plate would need to be reset as with all e46s its a self adjusting clutch so you need to special tool to turb back the springs when isntalling. Eitherway unfortunately this is what happens due to bmw over engineering their cars and requiring tools and software not available to most people. Hate to see it but I see it often.

Say what you want, but if want more business don't treat people (potential customers) like morons, whether you think they are or not. I for one wouldn't come to your shop or recommend you regardless of your pricing, quality, or turn around.

7 hours ago, CMart said:

Say what you want, but if want more business don't treat people (potential customers) like morons, whether you think they are or not. I for one wouldn't come to your shop or recommend you regardless of your pricing, quality, or turn around.

This. That douchey, high-horsed response is exactly what would drive me to never give someone my business. 

50 minutes ago, The Full Banana said:

This. That douchey, high-horsed response is exactly what would drive me to never give someone my business. 

It's not high horse at all. I actually offered to help as I knew more then likely what the issue was which I posted up before. I am stating a fact which you can think as you please. This was not ment to be a bad statement but a true statement that's is all. I know John Moliter personally so it wasn't an attack against him. No worries on getting more business, that's one part I don't have a problem in. 

On February 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM, tsweers89 said:
On February 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM, The Full Banana said:

It's not high horse at all. I actually offered to help as I knew more then likely what the issue was which I posted up before. I am stating a fact which you can think as you please. This was not ment to be a bad statement but a true statement that's is all. I know John Moliter personally so it wasn't an attack against him. No worries on getting more business, that's one part I don't have a problem in.

I feel like you're hovering over waiting for the "I told you so" moment. If you were to offer basic help here and there I would recommend people to your shop and might even take my car to you when I don't have time to do the work myself.

However, by responding they way you did and sounding like you're on your high horse, the way you do time and time again, I will never refer you any business. I will thank you for reigniting the fire for me to complete the job myself.

It's spelled Molitor.

#hatersgonnahate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove it around the block!! Doesn't shift into second.

803dbaa79d67c8da486385134e710acf.jpg

743c76c69ff511e6426003617ca81976.jpg

I bled the actuator 3 or 4 times and it allowed me to ease on the gas and slowly grab 1st gear like it normally did. Maybe I'll just keep on bleeding the actuator and see what happens. At least I can drive it to a show now if needed.