WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

So, what are you listening to?

Narcosis

• 3 weeks later...

Gregg Rolie inspired edition of "songs you didn't know were covers"

Who is Gregg Rolie, you ask?

He played keyboards/organ and sang with Santana and Journey.

Anyway, so that answers the the question "Who the heck was singing on that Journey track that no one remembers or cares about?"

It's been brought to my attention that there is a 10-hour version of this on YT, because why wouldn't there be?

I may have to re-watch the movie, because I wasn't even aware that Steve McQueen was in it... I didn't even know who Steve McQueen was when I saw it (80's or veeery early 90's).

On 2/24/2023 at 9:33 AM, suspenceful said:

Same here. Never was a country guy, but I've been listening to Hardy lately... and some Morgan Wallen.

😅

I'm going to see both in April.  My wife has injected them into my Spotify recommendations so I'll have a nice bluegrass mix going then Spotify hits me with those two and I'll blind skip every time.  I'm sure they're gonna put on a great concert but the music does nothing for me.

4 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm going to see both in April.  My wife has injected them into my Spotify recommendations so I'll have a nice bluegrass mix going then Spotify hits me with those two and I'll blind skip every time.  I'm sure they're gonna put on a great concert but the music does nothing for me.

I'll see ya there? We've got floor seats on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Truth be told, most of the time I don't even bother to pick out my own music, because there are obsessive music nerds out there that are way better at it than I am. WFMU is a listener-supported radio station that's been broadcasting out of New Jersey (just across the river from NYC) since the 70s? Originally a college radio station, but the college went out of business, and the station went to the listeners to get money to buy the FCC license and it's been going on like that ever since. The DJs are all volunteers and are basically free do to do whatever they want with their air time. Some of them are serious music nerds that have been on the air for decades, but there is a variety of other great things as well.

https://www.wfmu.org/table

Mr. Fine Wine spins 20-something soul 45s during his one hour show. Great to listen to while cooking dinner on Friday night.

Mahogany with Bailey is one of the most exciting new shows. A continuous mix of jazz/hip-hop/spoken-word and more. Really good vibe. Don't take my word for it.

Matt Fiveash and Becky are holding it down with old-school blues and country on Wednesday nights. As Mr. Fiveash puts it "An antidote to the moribund, corny and/or humorless blues programming generally found on the radio.", and the same applies to Becky's show.

Rex, Marty McSorely and Jeff Sarge are long-time weekend favorites.

John Allen's "jazz" show has been a favorite of mine recently.

If the on-air programming isn't enough, there are a couple decades of archived programs...

...like that one time when someone played "Ween - Push th' Little Daisies" on repeat for 3 hours straight...

https://www.wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=3&show=120870&archive=225767

Or old favorites like Tom Scharpling's comedy/call-in show

https://wfmu.org/playlists/BS

• 3 months later...

Getting ready to move across town so my commute isn't so long and I can hopefully bike to work again. Pulled this one off the wall and out of the frame and slapped it on the turntable. The dynamic range of vinyl doesn't come close to CDs, but regardless, it's obvious this one was intended to be played loud. Really loud. Sorry neighbors. (Ominous tones)

20230703_154441.jpg

20230703_154413.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I still have my copy of Nirvana's Nevermind that I got from BMG as part of my 20 CDs for $0.01, but honestly wasn't a huge fan of them until I hit my mid-30's. Unlike most bands which (hipster voice) "Their first album was the best, but it just slowly got worse after that"; Nirvana's last album was their best IMO. Radiohead is the only other band I can think of off the top of my head that follows that arc.

Edit: It never stops amusing me that someone named "Cleveland" sharpied their name onto my copy of "In Utero" that I bought used for $0.50 or a buck, what with the cross-dress dude and what-not...

20230726_205341.jpg