WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The "Random E30 Questions" Thread

ClassE

Question

There was a thread like this on a different forum I frequented in the past - it was quite helpful as a new owner for "simple" questions and allowed for a single place to read through to gain knowledge after a purchase.

If more knowledgeable users could help with answers or links to answers, hopefully this can turn useful for other users in the future!

I'll start it off with some of my questions:

-Does anyone know of an aerosol black paint that is close in color/texture to the existing trim on an E30? (I need to repaint my front lip and want it to match as closely as possible).

-What oil do you run in summer for a stock/lightly modified M20?

-How often should the fluid in the rear end by changed out? Any special tools or procedure for doing this?

49e079ea.jpg\

Im posting this image explicitly because of the note on it where  "JHZR2" claims to have copyrighted the image  and I felt like making "unotherized use" of it because im going to profit so much by posting it. 

When its below 40F consistently I run 10w-40

When its above 40F consistently I run 20w-50

Rear diff: 

Some are regular hex head drain plugs, others are male hex (10mm?)  nothing special here, just fill until it starts pouring out of the top drain hole. I like the soap dispenser type bottle pumps for this and also remember to use diff fluid with an LSD additive. (If you dont have an LSD then freaking get one) 

Im assuming you are talking about the shear and heat characteristics which I agree with but the higher viscosity on the older design engines is used for maintaining proper film buildup between bearing surfaces when larger clearances are in play (old design engine) 

SEM trim paint looks great and is high quality and matches the OEM trim look. however, like most paint, your trim that has been on the car in the sun for 30 years won't really match anything perfectly if you are trying to touch it up. repaint whole pieces for the best effect.

Planning to do the whole lip, just want to be close in color/texture to bumper rub strips.

Is SEM a brand? Never heard if it - will try to find locally.

Acouple more:

-I see people referencing "early" and "late" model taillights. Is the split on the taillight style the same as the bumper change from metal to plastic? Any overlap?

-Are the rear parcel shelves the same between the 2-doors and 4-doors?

-How do I reset the "oil change" interval LED thingy in the cluster?

I would assume the parcel shelves should be similar between two and four doors.

Edit: just browsed realoem. Looks like the 2dr and 4dr window shelves have the same part numbers

And I think you need a tool to reset the SIL in the dash

-or jump some pins

http://www.beckerelectronics.com/BMW/servicelightreset.html

Just don't jump the wrong pins.

Fwiw, mine are on, I try not to look at them

Well, this is probably the place to ask this (oil questions again):

I need to change my oil again (e30 318is, 1000 miles of driving will be occurring in the next 10 days) and I don't know what oil I should use because there is no concrete answer for m42 cars. I don't want to go to a full synthetic because I don't want any more leaks to develop. I currently have castrol gtx high mileage 10w-40 and it was pretty good in the colder weather but I have been noticing a lot more audible ticking at lower RPM's (possibly due to the oil being too thin?) recently as the temperatures have been steadily 65+. Would changing to 20w-50 (probably castrol gtx high mileage again) be a good choice for the summer or would it put too much strain on the pump/not flow well on startup/etc in WI summer temperatures? This weight seems to be the consensus on m20's but for the m42 I can't find a consistent answer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I found this on MyE28.com on how to reset your service interval lights. I am sure it is the same for the E30. 

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=35609

My best suggestion for anyone working on old BMW's is to get a Bentley Service Manual for their MY car and read the whole thing. Tons of info and tips. 

One cool thing I have found out and used is that you can activate the starter with the diagnostic port. Very useful when adjusting valves.

20w-50 or 15w-50 would be great=-)
That's what I was thinking, I would really like 15w-50 but I can only get that as a full synthetic, so I am really leaning towards the 20w-50.
BMW engines all tick like a sewing machine, I would not be concerned about that.  I would also use synthetic but that's my personal preference.  I just filled my new to me m20 with 150k on it with royal purple 10w-40.
Its the worst haha, the reason I am putting so much thought into it is that my engine just seems to be louder than my old m42 so I want to see if I can quiet it down. In my old car I switched to mobile 1 full synthetic and I had an oil pan gasket leak pretty soon after so I am wary of accelerating any leaks I already have, has anyone else had that problem?
I found this on MyE28.com on how to reset your service interval lights. I am sure it is the same for the E30.  http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=35609 My best suggestion for anyone working on old BMW's is to get a Bentley Service Manual for their MY car and read the whole thing. Tons of info and tips.  One cool thing I have found out and used is that you can activate the starter with the diagnostic port. Very useful when adjusting valves.
It looks like a similar process, I've always done the paperclip technique to reset it haha. The e30 Bentley doesn't cover the m42 so I haven't bought it yet, but I do have the e36 Bentley which does. The e36 Bentley recommends 15w-40 for the summer so maybe I will just stay with what I have. I guess ultimately it doesn't make a ton of difference as long as I'm not going WAY far away from the original spec Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk