WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Jake's Epic BMW 135i Build Thread! (5+ Years of Ownership)

suspenceful

Well... something came in the mail today :)

14269124803_208060ebf6_z.jpg

Of course I had to set it on the trunk to see how it'd look.

14225789506_abb93c1353_z.jpg

I plan on mounting it tomorrow. I picked up an oil filter kit from the BMW dealership today, so I'll be giving the car my first oil change tomorrow as well.

Did you fix your undertray yet?  Also, you need to start looking for a daily driver......and if you don't want to call it that, call it a spare car.

Picking up a new piece from the dealership today :)

I have a spare car at home that I can use if something were to happen. If it needs to be down for an extended period of time, I have an extra $1000 or so for an emergency daily.

Picking up a new piece from the dealership today :)

I have a spare car at home that I can use if something were to happen. If it needs to be down for an extended period of time, I have an extra $1000 or so for an emergency daily.

Good to hear.  I always seem to do better with projects if I know I'm OK if I don't finish

Did you sell the miata? Loving the progress=)

I believe he did, the guy had it dynoed at the dyno day with Jake.  He had a whole entourage.  

Did you sell the miata? Loving the progress=)

Yes, it was a sad day. I raised it about an inch and piled his truck full of spare parts...

Good to hear.  I always seem to do better with projects if I know I'm OK if I don't finish

I believe he did, the guy had it dynoed at the dyno day with Jake.  He had a whole entourage.

Same here! Part of me wants another rusty Jeep Cherokee that I can pile full of parts.

And yes, I forced the new Miata owner to come with to the dyno day. I wanted to see what kind of power it was putting down after all the hard work I put into that car. It ended up doing 220whp/205wtq on 12 lbs of boost. I ran it at 15 lbs, but turned it down because I didn't want the new owner to die.

Anyways, more parts are on the way for my 1-series. Ordered these VRSF downpipes today for $300 shipped!

6i8wWrSl.jpg

I'm gonna get an inline E85 fuel pump soon so I can run 100% E85. I'll also be flashing the car with a BMS E85 flash and getting a 2-step relay. It should be putting down 400+ whp this month.

I'm gonna get an inline E85 fuel pump soon so I can run 100% E85. I'll also be flashing the car with a BMS E85 flash and getting a 2-step relay. It should be putting down 400+ whp this month.

:) Fun!  It's crazy the power you can get with such minor mods to these cars.

:) Fun!  It's crazy the power you can get with such minor mods to these cars.

It really is...

Anyways, I finally got around to working on the car this weekend. Needless to say, I love the spoiler!

14261936682_c80c17d986_z.jpg

14263682754_09481aebe2_z.jpg

Then I changed the oil with some Castrol Edge, fully synthetic 5W-30. I used an OEM BMW oil filter kit too.

xuVZxWGl.jpg

Since I was already underneath the car, I figured I'd try removing the clutch delay valve. 30 minutes later it was out. Look at how restrictive this thing is!

4QTDw3Jl.jpg

As always, check www.My1Series.com for more pictures, details, and impressions. The first two posts include everything I did this weekend. One for the CDV delete and oil change, and another for the BMW Performance spoiler install. Also, I scored a set of used VRSF downpipes for a good deal and will be buying the 255 inline fuel pump to run up to 100% E85. When I install those, I’ll add the BMS E85 race flash. Should put it 400whp/wtq.

Stay tuned!

Since I was already underneath the car, I figured I'd try removing the clutch delay valve. 30 minutes later it was out. Look at how restrictive this thing is!

Yay for no more clutch slippage! So its looks like you just simply pulled the valve out and reconnected the lines? I've had customer's tell me they replaced the line with the E92 M3 line as they didn't come with CDV's. 

Yay for no more clutch slippage! So its looks like you just simply pulled the valve out and reconnected the lines? I've had customer's tell me they replaced the line with the E92 M3 line as they didn't come with CDV's.

Haven't heard of swapping the line, I know plenty of people have to pulled it out and re-connected the lines. Exactly what I did and works fine :)

I am still a bit on the fence for running some e85. You had no issues at all? How close to empty were you and how many gallons does your tank hold?

I've put E85 in every tank since I installed JB4. As long as you're on map 5, you have nothing to worry about. I have had no issues at all.

I just PM'd you back, but forgot that you have a bigger tank than I do. Mine holds about 14 gallons. Also, you don't need to run 93, but I like to because it allows for more power.

With that in mind, here is what I PM'd you:

I started with a 30% mix, but have ran as high as 45% mix already. I started with 6 gallons of 93 and 2 gallons of E85 from an empty tank for a ~33% mix. My last tank I did 8 gallons of 93 and 6 gallons of E85 from an empty tank for a ~43% mix.

Just make sure you add the 93 octane first. Then once you put the E85 in, do three 3rd gear WOT pulls from 2K RPMs up close to the redline. A good spot to do these is on a highway onramp. This allows JB4 to autotune to whatever gas you're running. You'll notice as you do more pulls, it feels slightly stronger.

Map 5 with E85 is significantly quicker than map 1. It's hard to go back. If you have a USB cable, it wouldn't be a bad idea to datalog. That way if for some reason it doesn't feel right, you can see what's going on. If your HPFP is dying, it might struggle with the E85, but otherwise you'll be just fine. Post back and let me know how it goes!

Did you notice a difference between the 33% & 43% mix?

I think I'm gonna mix it up when I fill up for the trip down to Scooters.

Yeah, I think there were a few extra ponies coming out. Boost was a tad higher because it autotuned to the mixture.

I'd start with a ~30% mix your first time just to make sure everything goes as planned.

videos are a must!

Soon, I'm working on it :)

Guest 328ci

What are you doing this weekend? I have saturday off, so we should assemble the crew for beer and hookah and do car videos

or sunday

or friday

Much better! That old knob was ugly and probably way over priced!

Looks great!

Thanks guys, I agree!

I decided that I was gonna try to install the downpipes today. A few friends came over to give a hand... all of which are BMW owners.

On the forums, most people say that installing downpipes is a major pain-in-the-ass. They noted that they would rather pay someone else do it if they ever had to do it again. I went into this expecting it to take a while.

We grabbed gaskets from AutoZone, ordered pizza, and slowly got started around 1:45pm.

14247224248_222318ed89_z.jpg

We were very lazy throughout the whole process. Ended up getting most of the bolts off, but one in particular was giving us trouble. It was in a horrible spot and we (aka Ben) rounded the nut off. This really held things up, so why not take a break and light up the hookah? Please note: Ben under the car realizing he really fucked up ;)

14247390917_cd122ea199_z.jpg

Getting dark now... better get back at it. We ended up having to torch the shit out of it and use an air chisel to snap the stud/nut.

14410707706_5e69798ca3_z.jpg

After we got that out of the way, we still needed to unbolt brackets, v-bands, four O2 sensors, and unhook the whole exhaust from the hangers. We even had to unbolt the steering rack and move it out of the way for more room. Maybe we should have started earlier?

14432503562_eca01bfd10_z.jpg

Believe it or not, I did work. I just snapped some pictures throughout the day as I got tools and drinks. I wish I would have taken more pics (as always with projects).

I think around 10:00pm we finally got the catted downpipes out. I was hoping the car would be buttoned up and back on the road by this time.

14247219410_b57d2f1597_z.jpg

Enough for tonight. Back at it again tomorrow after work...